E. Martin De Luca
Martin De Luca is a member of the government enforcement practice at Ropes & Gray who focuses on white-collar criminal defense, regulatory enforcement and internal investigations. As a former American prosecutor who is a native Spanish speaker and fluent in Portuguese, Martin brings a rare combination of skills to his practice on behalf of clients facing potential regulatory and enforcement exposure in Latin America.
Martin represents corporations, private equity firms, investment funds and individuals facing corruption, money laundering, export control and economic sanctions issues. Martin also represents individuals facing criminal charges in the United States, conducts internal investigations involving U.S. and foreign prosecutors, engages in proactive risk assessments on behalf of corporate clients with international operations and performs diligences on acquisition targets and third party partners. Martin regularly works with local counsel across Latin America.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Martin served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and as an Assistant District Attorney at the New York County District Attorney’s Office. In his five and a half years as a prosecutor, Martin investigated and prosecuted a wide variety of crimes, including terrorism-related offenses, violent crimes, narcotics trafficking, financial fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, public corruption, and other complex white collar crimes. During his government service, Martin tried 18 cases to verdict.
Before becoming a prosecutor, Martin worked for a year as a legal specialist with the New York office of the U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, Criminal Section. While at the Antitrust Division, Martin worked on DOJ’s wide ranging investigation into bid-rigging in the municipal bonds market and price fixing investigations involving numerous Latin American companies involving U.S. and foreign prosecutors.
- Regularly advising private equity firms and their portfolio companies on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, money laundering, economic sanctions, export controls and international risk issues in cross-border transactions.
- Conducting pro-active anti-corruption risk assessment across 11 countries in Latin America on behalf of a U.S. investment fund.
- Representing a U.S. pharmaceutical company in connection with a joint DOJ and SEC investigation of FCPA violations in Brazil.
- Representing a U.S.-based oil & gas company in connection with a DOJ investigation of FCPA violations in Brazil.
- Representing an individual from South America in connection with a DOJ investigation of corruption and money laundering involving Argentina.
- Representing a U.S. asset manager in connection with U.S. economic sanctions on Venezuela.
- Drafted compliance policies for U.S. and multinational companies addressing compliance with global anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and export control laws.
- Co-author, “Argentine Corporate Criminal Liability Law Opens the Door to New Enforcement Risks,” Securities Regulation Daily (November 20, 2017)
- Co-author, “U.S. expands efforts to target corrupt foreign officials,” Westlaw Journal White-Collar Crime (August 2017)
- Cited, “Com ‘lava jato’, empresas brasileiras viram foco de advogados estrangeiros,” Consultor Jurídico (April 7, 2016)
- Co-author, “DOJ Puts Companies With Venezuelan Ties In Its Crosshairs,” Law360 (March 7, 2016)
- Panelist, “Plea bargain and cooperation: challenges in importing the system to Brazil,” OAB/SP Subseção Pinheiros, São Paulo, Brazil (June 22, 2017)
- Presenter, “FCPA Trends in Latin America for Pharmaceutical Companies,” Cámara Argentina de Especialidades Medicinales, Buenos Aires, Argentina (May 27, 2016)
- Presenter, “Designing an Effective and Efficient Anti-Corruption Compliance Program,” Brazilian Institute of Petroleum, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (May 20, 2016)
- Presenter, “Cooperation Agreements in the United States and Brazil,” KLA Roundtable, São Paulo, Brazil (May 19, 2016)
- Presenter, "Grand Jury: What Happens in the Secret Room,” Ropes & Gray (March 2016)