Genieva A. DePass
Litigation and enforcement associate Genieva DePass joined Ropes & Gray’s Washington, D.C. office in 2017. Genieva focuses her practice on white-collar criminal defense, internal investigations, and related civil litigation. Genieva has extensive experience representing corporate clients in matters involving alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, and related state and federal statutes. Genieva regularly counsels companies conducting cross-border internal and regulatory investigations, compliance risk assessments and pre-acquisition due diligence in M&A transactions. In addition, Genieva has completed a full-time, six-month, disassociated secondment in the anti-bribery and corruption department of a leading global pharmaceutical company.
Genieva maintains an active pro bono practice representing victims of domestic violence in partnership with the D.C. Volunteer Lawyers Project and working with tenants and property owners on housing issues with the D.C. Landlord Tenant Resource Center. Genieva also serves as lead associate for the firm’s award-winning Enforcement Express, an interactive web-based site offering resources relating to corruption risks and enforcement environments worldwide.
During law school, Genieva was a current development editor for the Georgetown Immigration Law Journal. She was also an active member of the Georgetown Black Law Students Association, serving as career chair during the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Conducted a policies and practices review for a high-profile association, which informed its efforts to implement a comprehensive multi-year diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy.
- Advised global pharmaceutical manufacturer on risk of anti-bribery and corruption risk in Covid-19 partnerships, collaborations, and commercial transactions.
- Represented various academic institutions and universities in conducting internal investigations and responding to government inquiries related to foreign influence.
- Assisted in high-profile independent investigation into abuse of athletes within a national sports organization.
- Assisted independent compliance monitor in assessing the sufficiency of anti-bribery compliance controls of an aircraft manufacturer pursuant to a Deferred Prosecution Agreement with the DOJ and SEC.
- Represented board members of health and wellness company in settlement of FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection investigation and lawsuit.
- Assisted in defense of a senior executive of an aircraft manufacturer in a global investigation involving allegations of bribery and corruption.
- Assisted in defense of a pharmaceutical company against allegations of violations of the False Claims Act and the Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act.
- Represented global pharmaceutical and medical device companies in DOJ and internal investigations involving alleged violations of False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute relating to promotion and sales of company products.
- Co-author, “Fine Over Bank Texts Signals Books, Records Crackdown,” Law360 (October 4, 2022)
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2017; Current Development Notes Editor, Georgetown Immigration Law Journal
- BS (Legal Studies and English), magna cum laude, St. John's University, 2014; Member of the President’s Society; Recipient of the 2014 P. Kevin Castel Award
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2017