Genieva A. DePass
Genieva DePass is temporarily on a full-time client secondment.
Litigation and enforcement associate Genieva DePass joined Ropes & Gray’s Washington, D.C. office in 2017. Genieva’s practice includes complex civil litigation and government enforcement matters. Genieva handles Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and False Claims Act government and internal investigations, and financial fraud investigations, and is responsible for handling compliance, anti-corruption, anti-money laundering due diligence and risk analysis. Genieva has written motions and briefs, and has performed different aspects of discovery, such as document review, document production, and deposition preparation.
Genieva maintains an active pro bono practice representing victims of domestic violence in partnership with the D.C. Volunteer Lawyers Project and working with tenants and property owners on housing issues with the D.C. Landlord Tenant Resource Center.
During law school, Genieva was a Current Development editor for the Georgetown Immigration Law Journal. She was also an active member of the Georgetown Black Law Students Association, serving as Career Chair during the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Assisted in high-profile independent investigation into abuse of athletes within a national sports organization.
- Assisted independent compliance monitor in assessing the sufficiency of anti-bribery compliance controls of an aircraft manufacturer pursuant to a Deferred Prosecution Agreement with the DOJ and SEC.
- Represented board members of health and wellness company in settlement of FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection investigation and lawsuit.
- Assisted in defense of a senior executive of an aircraft manufacturer in a global investigation involving allegations of bribery and corruption.
- Assisted in defense of a pharmaceutical company against allegations of violations of the False Claims Act and the Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act.
- Advised health care and research institutions in connection with internal investigations involving allegations of research misconduct.
- Represented global pharmaceutical and medical device companies in DOJ and internal investigations involving alleged violations of False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute relating to promotion and sales of company products.
- Assisted in defense of a medical device manufacturer facing a False Claims Act qui tam suit relating to alleged kickbacks.
- Conducted pre-acquisition anti-corruption due diligence for corporate clients.
- Secured favorable outcome for parent involved in First Amendment, ADA claims against charter school. [Pro Bono]
- Represented domestic violence victims seeking Civil Protection Orders. [Pro Bono]
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2017; Current Development Notes Editor, Georgetown Immigration Law Journal
- BS (Legal Studies and English), magna cum laude, St. John's University, 2014; Member of the President’s Society; Recipient of the 2014 P. Kevin Castel Award