Gregory C. Davis
Greg is a partner in the asset management group, and managing partner of the firm’s San Francisco office. Greg focuses his practice on the representation of investment management industry clients. He has considerable experience with the formation and compliance maintenance of investment advisers and investment companies, the regular ongoing representation of registered investment companies’ boards of directors and the formation and ongoing representation of various privately offered investment pools. Greg also has experience with venture capital financings and with mergers and acquisitions involving both publicly and privately held companies.
- Represents AMG and several of its affiliated or sponsored entities in the full range of investment management matters, including representing AMG Funds, AMG Funds LLC, and AMG Funds Distributors, Inc. with respect to ongoing compliance, the organization of new registered funds, fund investments in derivatives, and assistance with board relations.
- Represents the Independent Trustees of the Schwab Funds and the Independent Trustees of the American Century Funds in fund governance and board related matters.
- Represents Stone Ridge Asset Management in a variety of different matters, including new fund offerings and day-to-day compliance advice.
- Represents multiple fund sponsors in their organization and compliance maintenance of their registered funds of private equity funds.
- Represents Jackson Square Partners in general corporate, compliance, and other matters.
- Represents Western Asset Management with respect to the ongoing offering and operation of its U.S. hedge fund complex.
- Profiled, “How I Made OMP,” Law.com (August 8, 2022)
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray Plans LA Office, Adds Paul Hastings PE Atty,” Law360 (December 21, 2021)
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray to Open Third Calif. Office in Los Angeles,” The American Lawyer (December 20, 2021)
- Co-author, “Mutual Fund Use of Sub-Advisers,” Mutual Funds and Exchange Traded Funds Regulation (July 2013)
- Speaker, “Ropes & Gray West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference - Higher Tax Burdens and New Compliance Challenges for Companies Doing Business in California,” (February 2013)
- Speaker, Mutual Fund Directors Forum’s 2012 Policy Conference, “Board Oversight of Sub-TA Fees” (June 20, 2012)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1996
- BA, highest honors, University of California, Davis, 1993
Admissions / Qualifications
- California, 2003
- Massachusetts, 1996
- Acritas Stars: Stand-Out Lawyer (2019)
- Legal 500 (2017-2019)
- IFLR 1000 (2015-2023)