Isabel K.R. Dische
Isabel Dische is a partner in the asset management group and serves as co-leader of the firm’s institutional investors team. She focuses on advising asset managers and institutional investors on a variety of investment fund matters across a range of alternative asset classes. Isabel represents a number of large investors (both U.S. and non-U.S.) with respect to their private equity, commodity, infrastructure, real estate and hedge fund investments. She regularly advises clients in connection with co-investment, mezzanine, and secondary transactions, including fund recapitalizations, synthetic secondaries, preferred equity deals, and other structures.
Isabel has experience structuring and advising a range of hedge funds and other private funds and their sponsors. She regularly assists funds and their sponsors with legal and risk management questions (including Advisers Act compliance issues) and with fund restructurings when necessary.
Isabel regularly advises “buy side” clients including hedge funds, mutual funds, private equity funds, endowments, foundations and corporations on derivatives and trading arrangements.
As a part of the supply chain compliance and corporate social responsibility practice, Isabel advises investment advisers and institutional investors on ESG policies and procedures.
Prior to law school, Isabel spent two years as an associate at Atlas Venture.
- Advises various European, Asian and Canadian sovereign investors on their primary, co-investment and secondaries programs.
- Represented a Southeast Asian sovereign investor in two secondary sales of large portfolios of interests with deal sizes of approximately $1.7 billion and $2.1 billion, respectively.
- Represented an Asian sovereign investor on the negotiations of a $1+ billion fund-of-one arrangement with a leading credit fund manager.
- Represented a Southeast Asia sovereign wealth fund and a U.K. pension fund on their provision of approximately $500 million warehouse facility for an energy opportunities fund being launched by one of the world’s largest global alternative asset managers. In addition to structuring, the credit facility and negotiating the underlying credit documentation (including a related subscription finance facility), Ropes & Gray advised with respect to underlying derivatives regulatory issues stemming from the structure and negotiated the terms of the fund structure that held the warehoused assets. In tandem, we also advised our clients with respect to co-investments into several of the underlying oil and gas assets being warehoused for the new fund and a related PIPE transaction.
- Represented an asset manager on their sale of nearly 100 fund interests in connection with the liquidation of several fund-of-fund vehicles.
- Represented the lead buyer consortium in a $1.4 billion fund recapitalization transaction involving several different vintages sponsored by a North American private equity sponsor.
- Negotiation of seed capital investments in and on behalf of fund sponsors.
- Represents a U.S. investment adviser with respect to the launch and operation of its over 30 distinct hedge fund strategies, including equity, fixed income, currency, asset allocation and special situation strategies.
- Represents a credit fund manager on their co-investment platform and various SMA/fund-of-one arrangements.
- Represented a U.S. investment manager in connection with a bespoke Brazilian total return swap arrangement in connection with their investment in a portfolio of receivables.
- Represented The Hanover Insurance Group in connection with a $250 million accelerated stock repurchase program.
- Regularly advises “buy side” clients on the negotiation of ISDA master agreements, triparty agreements for collateral posted under ISDA master agreements, securities lending arrangements, Master Repurchase Agreements, Global Master Repurchase Agreements, tri-party custodial undertakings, prime brokerage arrangements, term commitments and securities lending arrangements.
- Regularly advises clients on the implications of Commodity Futures Trading Commission rulemaking, including the rescission of registration exemptions, changes in position limits and aggregation, and the inclusion of swaps in the definitions of commodity pool, commodity pool operator and commodity trading advisor.
- Quoted, “OCIE’s Targeting of ESG Investing Practices in Recent Examinations and What It Means Going Forward (Part One of Two),” The Private Equity Law Report (January 21, 2020)
- Featured, “VIDEO: What’s in store for the secondaries market in 2020?,” Secondaries Investor (January 21, 2020
- Quoted, “Secondary Buyers Get Pickier as Deal Bonanza Continues,” WSJ Pro Private Equity (January 14, 2020)
- Quoted, “Deep Dive: How ESG will become a CFO issue,” Private Funds CFO (December 2, 2019)
- Quoted, “Diversification, Volume and Performance Power Secondary Fundraising Boom,” WSJ Pro Private Equity (May 2019)
- Quoted, “Evolving deal structures ramp up in law firms’ secondaries work,” Secondaries Investor (April 29, 2019)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 4,” Law360 (March 29, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 3,” Law360 (March 28, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 2,” Law360 (March 27, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 1,” Law360 (March 26, 2018)
- Quoted, “Large Tax Bill Looms for Hedge Fund Managers,” FundFire (June 7, 2017)
- Quoted, “How Hedge Fund Managers Can Design an ESG Investing Policy (Part Two of Two),” The Hedge Fund Law Report (November 17, 2016)
- Quoted, “The Past, Present and Future of ESG Investing in the Hedge Fund Industry (Part One of Two),” The Hedge Fund Law Report (November 10, 2016)
- Quoted, “Swap Margin Segregation Decision Awaits IAs,” Compliance Intelligence (April 17, 2014)
- Co-author, “Segregation of Initial Margin Posted in Connection with Uncleared Swaps,” The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation (April 19, 2014)
- Panelist, “Acting in Concert,” PRI in Person (September 11, 2019)
- Moderator, Keynote Panel, “Alternative Investment Outlook,” Private Equity Europe Forum (September 5, 2019)
- Panelist, “LP Capital in Commitment Limbo,” Kayo Women’s Real Estate Summit (June 24, 2019)
- Panelist, “ESG Investing in Private Equity,” ILPA Legal Issues Symposium (April 2, 2019)
- Panelist, “Investor Perspectives,” International Bar Association’s 20th Annual International Conference on Private Investment Funds (March 11, 2019)
- Moderator, “Trends in Secondaries,” Kayo Private Equity Summit (October 3, 2018)
- Panelist, “2017 In Review: The Hedge Funds Industry,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (January 10, 2018)
- Panelist, “Socially Responsible Investing for Asset Managers,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (October 26, 2017)
- Panelist, “Navigating the Regulatory Landscape in Private Equity,” Kayo Women’s Private Markets Summit (October 2, 2017)
- Panelist, “The next 10 years of responsible investment: Signatories’ perspectives,” A Blueprint for Responsible Investment – New York (June 27, 2017)
- Panelist, “A View from Washington: The First 100 Days,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (April 24, 2017)
- Host, Responsible Investments for Institutional Investors in Hedge Funds (November 3, 2016)
- Event Chairperson, iGlobal Forum’s Co-Investment Summit (March 2, 2016)
- Moderator, “Closing The Deal: Case Study In A Successful Co-Investment,” iGlobal Forum’s Co-Investment Summit (March 2, 2016)
- JD, Yale Law School, 2004
- AM (Chemistry), Harvard University, 2000
- AB (Chemistry), summa cum laude, Harvard College, 1998; Goldwater Scholar; Phi Beta Kappa