Jeremy E. Derman
Jeremy Derman joined Ropes & Gray in 2014 and is an associate in the firm’s hedge funds group. His practice focuses on the representation of hedge funds, private equity funds, investment advisers and fund sponsors in connection with fund formations and restructurings (including open- and closed-end funds, and single-investor structures), as well as a wide range of operational, regulatory and compliance matters. Jeremy’s experience also includes drafting and negotiating various contractual arrangements, such as side letters with investors, placement agent agreements, administration and other service provider agreements, and separate account advisory agreements; and advising institutional investors with respect to their private fund investments.
- Represented a large fund sponsor on the formation and launch of closed-end debt funds with multiple strategies and separate account structures.
- Represented an established hedge fund manager on fund raising for its equity long/short fund, including negotiating a placement agreement with the wealth management division of a leading financial institution.
- Represented a fund sponsor on the formation and launch of a closed-end commercial real estate debt fund, including advising on marketing and advertising rules, and other compliance issues.
- Advised a U.K. investment adviser on SEC registration and Advisers Act compliance issues.
- Represented an emerging FinTech company with respect to its fund access platform.
- “Does the SEC Rule the Job Creation Roost? Squaring SEC Rulemaking with the JOBS Act’s Relaxation of the Prohibition Against General Solicitation and Advertising,” 47 Suffolk University Law Review 139 (2014)
- Panelist, “2014 Futures Conference,” College of Law Practice Management (October 16, 2014)