Joanne De Silva
Joanne’s practice primarily comprises representing financial institutions in direct lending transactions, including senior secured, unitranche, second lien, mezzanine, and distressed financings. She has extensive experience with intercreditor arrangements including agreements among lenders, first lien/second lien and split collateral intercreditor agreements, and subordination agreements.
Joanne is qualified to practice in New York and is a solicitor in England and Wales. She was previously qualified as a barrister in England and Wales, and was a practicing advocate and solicitor in Singapore, where she focused on cross-border financing for several years.
- Advised Benefit Street Partners in $437.5 million first and second lien credit facilities for the acquisition of NSC Minerals Ltd., a leading provider of rock salt, by Metalmark Capital Partners.
- Advised Benefit Street Partners in $240 million first lien credit facilities for the acquisition of Lionbridge Technologies, a company that provides software services, by H.I.G Middle Market LBO Fund, L.P.
- Advised a global asset manager in $350 million revolving notes facility for Encina Private Credit SPV, a specialty finance company.
- Advised a global asset manager in $310 million first lien, second lien and asset-based credit facilities for Wilton Brands LLC, a company that provides food crafting products and services.
- Advised Siguler Guff in guarantee and collateral support arrangements for investments in Brazilian judicial securities (precatorios).
- Advised Siguler Guff in $18 million term loan facility for the acquisition of DeIorio Foods, Inc., a manufacturer and supplier of pizza dough, by Rudolph Capital, LLC.
- Advised Athyrium Capital Management in $630 million term loan and revolving credit facility for the acquisition of Innovacare, Inc, a provider of managed healthcare services, by Summit Partners, L.P.
- Advised KKR Credit Advisors in $405 million first lien, second lien, and asset-based credit facilities for the acquisition of KNB Holdings Corporation, a global manufacturer and importer of home décor products, by Sycamore Partners Management, L.P.
- Advised KKR Credit Advisors in $240 million unitranche financing for the acquisition of Fastener Acquisition, Inc., a national distributor of fastening and packaging materials, tools, and related building materials, by Kelso & Company.
- Advised American Industrial Partners in $310 million first lien, second lien and asset-based credit facilities for Babcock & Wilcox Enterprises, Inc., a global leader in energy and environmental technologies and services for the power and industrial markets.
- Co-author, “Credit fund lenders and the impact of covid-19 on investments,” Private Debt Investor (March 23, 2020)
- Co-author, “Foreign Credit Support for U.S. Credit Facilities,” Ropes & Gray Credit Funds Report (September 2019)
- Speaker, “2020 in the Rear View Mirror (almost): Current Topics and Trends in Debt Documentation,” Ropes & Gray Podcast (December 21, 2020)
- Speaker, “Credit Funds: Current Amendment Discussions—Key Points for Lenders,” Ropes & Gray Podcast (April 9, 2020)
- Speaker, “Credit Funds: Pro Rata Sharing Provisions – Key Points for Lenders,” Ropes & Gray Podcast (May 15, 2019)
- Moderator, “Manager Perspectives: Opportunities Today in Credit,” Kayo Credit Forum (October 2, 2018)
- Presenter, “Subordination and Intercreditor agreements,” Practicing Law Institute Asset Based Financing Strategies (2011-2017)
- BA (Jurisprudence), With Honors, University of Oxford, 1991
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2002
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 1997
- Legal 500 (2016-2020)
- IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, Rising Star (2016-2020)