Michael G. Doherty
Michael Doherty is a partner in the asset management group and an industry group leader for asset management at Ropes & Gray LLP in New York. Michael focuses his practice on the representation of asset managers. His practice spans a wide variety of products, and he is equally comfortable providing advice with respect to registered funds, unregistered products such as private equity funds, and business development companies. Michael has considerable experience with the formation and ongoing representation of investment advisers, registered investment companies and their boards of directors, and privately offered investment pools and their sponsors.
- Day-to-day regulatory and operational advice to Natixis Global Asset Management and its affiliated mutual funds.
- Private fund and investment adviser regulatory advice to Pacific Investment Management Company.
- Ongoing advice to Cohen & Steers Capital Management and its sponsored open-end and closed-end investment companies.
- Regulatory and operational advice to Stone Harbor Investment Partners and Stone Harbor Investment Funds.
- Fund organization, transaction assistance and regulatory advice to Siguler Guff & Company, a multi-product private equity boutique.
- Fund organization and transaction assistance to CRG (formerly Capital Royalty Partners), a provider of financing solutions to pharmaceutical and life sciences companies.
- Fund and Independent Director counsel to the Lord Abbett Funds.
- Private fund, transactional and regulatory advice to Institutional Capital Network.
- Quoted, “DC plans still slow on moving alts into lineups,” Pensions & Investments (May 27, 2019)
- Quoted, “SEC clarifies how funds should disclose fee changes to comply with DOL fiduciary rule,” InvestmentNews (January 3, 2017)
- Co-author, Sweet & Maxwell, “International Series Investment Funds,” (Thomson Reuters) 3rd Edition (March 2016)
- Quoted, “Registered Private Equity Funds Pick Up Steam,” FundFire (November 4, 2015)
- Co-author “U.S. Chapter: Investment Funds Jurisdictional Comparisons,” The European Lawyer Reference (Second Edition 2013)
- Quoted, “Tax and Structuring Considerations for Funds Organized to Invest in Master Limited Partnerships,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (August 1, 2013)
- Panelist, “The new liquidity paradigm,” the IBA’s 27th Annual Conference on the Globalisation of Investment Funds (May 9, 2016)
- Panelist, “Tackling the SEC’s Fund Liquidity Management Plans,” Compliance Reporter Breakfast Briefing (March 22, 2016)
- Panelist, “Education and Marketing of Closed-End Funds,” ICI Closed-End Fund Conference (November 4, 2015)
- Panelist, “Retailization of Private Equity,” PEGCC Chief Compliance Officers Working Group (September 30, 2014)
- Panelist, “An Overview of Business Development Companies (BDCs) and Uses of These Vehicles in the Current Climate,” 2013 Joint Fall CLE Meeting - ABA Section of Taxation and the Trust and Estate Law Division of the ABA Section of Real Property, Trust and Estate Law, San Francisco, CA (September 20, 2013)
- Speaker, Mutual Fund Directors Forum Directors’ Roundtable, “Board Oversight of Registered Alternative Products” (November 28, 2012)
- Presenter, Independent Directors Council New York chapter meeting, “Registered Alternative Investment Products: Review of Products, Board Considerations and Developments” (September 5, 2012)
- Moderator, Independent Directors Council’s "2012 Investment Company Directors Workshop," discussion group on Portfolio Performance (May 10, 2012)
- JD, with Honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 1997; University of Chicago Law Review
- BS, magna cum laude, Binghamton University, State University of New York, 1991