Michael G. Doherty
Michael Doherty is a partner in the asset management group and co-head of Ropes & Gray’s registered funds practice. He provides advice to investment advisers, funds and independent directors on launching and operating a wide variety of fund products, including registered funds, private funds and business development companies. In addition, he counsels asset manager sponsors on transactional matters and new product development.
Clients value Michael’s practical advice, as well as his command of regulatory and compliance issues across the asset management spectrum. As sources tell Chambers, “He is exactly what you want in a lawyer…always prepared and always able to give us insights beyond material in front of us.” Michael has also been recognized as “highly regarded” by IFLR1000.
- Counsel to the Independent Trustees of the J.P. Morgan Mutual Funds and Exchange-Traded Funds.
- Day-to-day regulatory and operational advice to Natixis Global Asset Management and its affiliated mutual funds.
- Private fund, registered fund and investment adviser regulatory advice to Pacific Investment Management Company.
- Transactional, regulatory and private fund advice to iCapital Network.
- Ongoing advice to Cohen & Steers Capital Management and its sponsored open-end and closed-end investment companies.
- Fund organization, transaction assistance and regulatory advice to Siguler Guff & Company, a multi-product private equity boutique.
- Counsel to the Board of Directors of Saratoga Investment Corp., a publicly traded business development company.
- Fund and Independent Director counsel to the Lord Abbett Funds.
- Fund organization and regulatory assistance to CRG (formerly Capital Royalty Partners), a provider of financing solutions to pharmaceutical and life sciences companies.
- Quoted, “SEC proxy disclosure proposal could boost ESG clarity, but some have concerns,” Fund Directions (November 23, 2021)
- Quoted, “Is Private Equity Ready for Retail in 2020?,” WSJ Pro Private Equity (January 14, 2020)
- Quoted, “Make Sure the Numbers Don’t Lie, SEC Urges Funds,” BoardIQ (October 22, 2019)
- Co-author, “Retail Investments in Private Funds: Regulatory Obstacles and Opportunities,” Wolters Kluwer (October 18, 2019)
- Podcast, “PODCAST: SEC aims to level playing field for retail investors,” Private Funds CFO (August 12, 2019)
- Quoted, “SEC Push to Boost Alts Access May Spark 401(k) Reforms,” FundFire (August 7, 2019)
- Quoted, “DC plans still slow on moving alts into lineups,” Pensions & Investments (May 27, 2019)
- JD, with Honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 1997; University of Chicago Law Review
- BS, magna cum laude, Binghamton University, State University of New York, 1991
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 1998
- Massachusetts, 1997
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2019-2022)
- Chambers Global (2020-2022)
- IFLR1000 (2015-2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2012-2022)
- Legal 500 (2010-2011, 2014, 2017)