Sarah Del Ciello
Sarah Del Ciello is a registered patent agent who joined Ropes & Gray as a technical advisor in January 2020. She has experience in patent litigation matters as well as due diligence in a wide variety of technology areas, including pharmaceuticals, LEDs, mobile communications, and consumer electronics.
Prior to joining the firm, Sarah earned a Ph.D. in chemistry from Caltech. Her thesis research spanned topics in inorganic chemistry including kinetics of hydrogen oxidation by a cobalt catalyst as well as synthesis and spectroscopy of ruthenium-based boronated cyanide complexes. These fundamental studies focused on topics relevant to the development of batteries and other storage media for renewable energy.
Sarah received her B.S., also in chemistry, from the University of Chicago, where she researched the low-coordinate organometallic chemistry of nickel.
- Ultravision Technologies, LLC v. A multinational electronics company (E.D. Tex., PTAB): Assisted defense of client in a patent infringement action, focusing on six related patents directed to LED displays, including petitions for inter partes review. The case resulted in settlement favorable to client.
- FKA Distributing Company, LLC d/b/a HoMedics v. Bear Down Brands, LLC (C.D. Cal.): Assisted defense of Bear Down in a patent infringement action. Analyzed two patents related to LED-illuminated essential oil diffusers. Case ended in settlement.
- Assisted in responding on behalf of an accused infringer in Amazon Neutral Patent Evaluation Procedure.
- Assisting with pre-litigation investigation for a global pharmaceutical company in anticipation of Hatch-Waxman litigation.
- Assisted in IP due diligence for underwriter of multiple biotechnology IPOs.
- Co-author, “A Cautionary Tale for Assignment of Rights in U.S. Patents,” Kluwer Patent Blog (August 17, 2021)
- Co-author, “Cyano-ambivalence: Spectroscopy and photophysics of [Ru(diimine)(CN-BR3)4]2− complexes,” Polyhedron (June 2020)
- Co-author, “Electronic Structures, Spectroscopy, and Electrochemistry of [M(diimine)(CN-BR3)4]2– (M = Fe, Ru; R = Ph, C6F5) Complexes,” Inorganic Chemistry (June 2020)
- Co-author, “Synthesis and Reactivity of Two-Coordinate Ni(I) Alkyl and Aryl Complexes,” Journal of the American Chemical Society (November 2013)
- PhD (Chemistry), California Institute of Technology, 2020
- BS (Chemistry), with honors, The University of Chicago, 2013
Admissions / Qualifications
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Patent Agent, 2021