Shirley Duquene joined Ropes & Gray’s litigation and enforcement practice group in 2021, where she focuses on government enforcement, internal investigations, and advising clients on anti-corruption, international risk, ESG, and other compliance issues. Additionally, Shirley is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US).
During law school, Shirley was a student attorney in the Compliance Policy Clinic and the Wrongful Convictions Clinic, a staff editor for the International Law Journal, and an e-board member of the International Law Society. She also interned for two human rights non-profit organizations and a Fortune 500 company’s Business & Human Rights team. At graduation, Shirley received the JD Pro Bono award and the Faculty Award for Community Service. Prior to law school, Shirley worked as a paralegal at another global law firm in New York and taught English in France.
- Conducts internal investigations involving anti-corruption issues in several countries.
- Regularly conducts pre-acquisition and post-acquisition anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, sanctions, and ESG due diligence for large private equity firms and their portfolio companies.
- Provided FCPA and sanctions-related training materials for a multinational company.
- Assisted with data-driven ESG risk assessments for dozens of portfolio companies.
- Advocates for animal drug wholesaler in a DOJ investigation concerning criminal violations of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act.
- Represents a company in a complex commercial arbitration.
- Advised pharmaceutical company on DOJ Second Request.
- Represented private equity firms in connection with third party subpoena responses.
- Represents asylum seekers in offensive and defensive proceedings.
- Advocates for a family of four in housing court.
- Analyzed Chicago police brutality cases.
- Co-author, “The TCPA, State Analogues, and the Future of Telemarketing Litigation,” RopesDataPhiles (December 21, 2021)
- Shirley Duquene, A Temporary Solution: Using the FCPA to Criminalize Modern Slavery, 39 B.U. INT'l L.J. 109 (2021)
- Shirley Duquene, “Tailoring BSA/AML Risk Assessment to Combat Forced Labor in Supply Chains,” Boston University International Law Journal Online (July 30, 2020)
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 2021; Risk Management & Compliance Concentration with Honors
- BA (Economics and French), Amherst College, 2017
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2021