Thomas B. Draper
Tom is one of the leading finance lawyers in New England, with deep experience representing borrowers in a variety of debt transactions, from acquisition finance to fund leverage to public company financings.
Tom represents a number of private equity sponsors in a range of leveraged buyout debt transactions, including asset-based credits and large syndicated term loans.
In the fund borrower area, Tom is a national leader. He has spoken on several panels and has worked on dozens of capital call facilities, portfolio leverage and liquidity financings for private and registered funds.
Tom also negotiates debt financings for life science and public company borrowers. For many years, Tom has chaired the firm’s corporate training programs, which have been ranked tops in the country for the past several years.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in connection with the leveraged acquisition of Duckhorn Wine Company, a large producer of premium wines.
- Represented a Texas-based debt origination fund in a securitized, underwritten offering involving a portfolio of health care loans.
- Represented Ironwood Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in connection with a $150 million royalty notes financing.
- Advises a wide variety of equity, debt and real estate funds on capital call subscription facilities, including the following clients:
- Angelo, Gordon & Co.
- Bain Capital
- H.I.G. Capital
- Kohlberg & Co.
- Providence Debt Funds
- TPG Capital
- TSG Consumer Partners
- Thomas Draper and Patricia Lynch, “Investor views of fund subscription lines: The ILPA guidelines and the market response,” Global Legal Insights – Fund Finance, 2nd Edition (February 2018)
- Quoted, “Managers line up behind tighter guidelines for drawdown funds,” Creditflux (December 1, 2017)
- Quoted, “Direct Lending Managers Face Rough Road Ahead,” FundFire (October 25, 2017)
- Quoted, “Fund Finance Focus: Managing the cashflow,” Private Equity International (June 1, 2017)
- Thomas Draper, Patricia Lynch and Dan Coyne, “Capital call subscription facilities: the borrower’s view,” Global Legal Insights - Fund Finance 2017 (February 2017)
- Moderator, “Credit and Evolving Fund Finance Spectrum,” 6th Annual Global Fund Finance Symposium (March 2, 2016)
- Speaker, “Fund Finance: 2016,” Maples Investment Funds Forum (February 27, 2016)
- Frequent speaker on continuing education panels