William M. Dunham
Will is a member of the firm’s labor & employment department. He advises employers on a broad range of employment issues, including hiring decisions, employment agreements, restrictive covenants, personnel policies, overtime exemption, family and medical leave, disability accommodations, terminations and workforce reductions, and separation agreements.
Will’s work at Ropes & Gray focuses on corporate transactions, counseling clients on the labor and employment aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and sales.
Will also has deep dispute resolution experience, having represented employers before administrative agencies and in all phases of litigation in state and federal court. He has defended clients against discrimination, wage-and-hour, and retaliation claims and has extensive experience litigating non-compete and trade secret matters.
Client Matters Prior to Joining Ropes & Gray Include:
- Obtained preliminary and permanent injunctions for prominent wealth management company against former employee who breached non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Defended top-tier Massachusetts college against race discrimination claims by tenured professor.
- Obtained permanent injunction for leading network security company against former employees who stole trade secrets for their start-up.
- Defended major property management company against class-action wage-and-hour claims.
- Defended children’s research center against claims of age, gender, and disability discrimination.
- “What Does ‘Prevailing Party’ Mean for Title VII Defendants?” American Bar Association Class Actions & Derivative Suits (July 2016)
- Presenter, “Independent Contractor v. Employee,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (November 2016)
- JD, cum laude, Washington University School of Law, 2008; Washington University Law Review, staff editor
- BA (English), Cornell University, 2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2013-2016)