Daniel S. Evans
Dan Evans is co-head of the firm's global client program and co-head of the private equity industry group, and has been a partner since 1994. His broad M&A and corporate practice includes acquisitions and dispositions for private equity and strategic buyers and sellers, private fund and general partner organization, public offering and other financing transactions, joint ventures, and general corporate representation. Dan has led more than 100 completed M&A transactions ranging in size from less than US$100 million to more than US$2 billion, including several going-private transactions. Dan’s regular M&A clients include American Industrial Partners, Aquiline, Bain Capital, KarpReilly, Kohlberg & Co. and H.I.G. Capital.
- Represented Aquiline Capital Partners in its $1.2 billion agreement to acquire Aon’s U.S. Retirement Business.
- Represented American Industrial Partners and portfolio company Cabinetworks Group, a leading manufacturer and distributor of kitchen and bath cabinets, in the sale of Cabinetworks to Platinum Equity.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its $1.0 billion take private of SEACOR Holdings Inc., a diversified shipping and logistics company.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in the $920 million acquisition of Domtar’s Personal Care business, a manufacturer and marketer of adult incontinence and infant diapers and related products.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its acquisition of the former Aleris Lewisport automotive body sheet plant from Novelis.
- Represented BoxyCharm, a subscription beauty products company, and KarpReilly in the $500 million sale of BoxyCharm to Ipsy, another leading beauty products subscription company.
- Represented Marucci Sports, the leading supplier of bats to major league baseball, in its $200 million sale to Compass Diversified Holdings, a publicly trading business development corporation (BDC).
- Represented American Industrial Partners and its portfolio company Rand Logistics in Rand’s $260 million acquisition of American Steamship Company from GATX. Both Rand and ASC operate U.S. flagged vessels providing bulk shipping services on the Great Lakes.
- Represented Iora Health, an innovative primary care provider network, in its $126 million Series F funding round.
- Represented Aquiline Capital Partners in its controlling investment in Elm Street Technology, a leading real estate technology and marketing solutions provider to the residential real estate industry.
- Represented American Industrial Partners portfolio company ACProducts in its $1 billion acquisition of Masco’s cabinetry division, which includes the KraftMaid, Merillat, QualityCabinets and Cardell Cabinetry brands.
- Represented Bain Capital in its investment in the combination of healthcare technology leaders Zelis Healthcare and RedCard Systems.
- Represented American Industrial Partners portfolio company Shape Technologies, a global leader in ultrahigh-pressure process solutions, in the sale of a 49% interest to DCP Capital for $225 million.
- Represented KarpReilly portfolio company Coopers Hawk Winery and Restaurant, an upscale casual restaurant chain and wine club, in its sale to Ares for more than $700 million.
- Represented Aquiline Partners in its investment in ABC Legal, a national, tech-enabled legal logistics and document business.
- Represented HIG Capital portfolio company Caraustar, a vertically integrated paperboard manufacturer, in its $1.8 billion sale to Greif Inc.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its acquisition of Current by GE, a leading provider of energy efficiency and digital productivity solutions for commercial offices, retail stores, industrial facilities and cities.
- Represented American Industrial Partners portfolio company ACProducts in its acquisition of Elkay Wood Products Company, a leading manufacturer of kitchen and bath cabinetry.
- Represented Aquiline Capital Partners in its acquisition of RIA in a Box LLC, a software-as-a-service provider of compliance solutions for the registered investment adviser sector.
- Represented HIG Capital in its acquisition of Wastequip, the leading North American manufacturer of waste and recycling equipment.
- Represented Kohlberg & Co. in its sale of a minority interest to The Blackstone Group.
- Represented HIG Capital in its acquisition of Digital Room Inc (DRI), a leading online printing solutions provider serving the short-run web to print market.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its US$875 million take-private acquisition of the Quebec-based steel producer Canam Group.
- Represented Café Rio Holding Inc., a restaurant chain specializing in Mexican cuisine, in its acquisition by Freeman Spogli & Co.
- Represented Eblens, LLC., portfolio company of KarpReilly, LLC, and lifestyle retailer of urban-inspired footwear, apparel and accessories, in its acquisition by J.W. Childs Associates, L.P.
- Represented REV Group, Inc., portfolio company of American Industrial Partners, in its acquisition of Ferrara Fire Apparatus, Inc.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its US$1.2 billion acquisition of the Arrium Group's Mining Consumables Division (Moly-Cop), an Australia-based producer of forges steel grinding media used in the processing of copper, gold and other minerals.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its acquisition of Gerber Technology, the world leader in integrated software, automation and vision systems for the apparel, graphics, packaging and other industrial markets.
- Represented Cowen Group's investment division Ramius LLC in its sale of Ramius Alternative Solutions LLC (RASL), a provider of customized alternative investment and advisory solutions to a global institutional client base.
- Represented KarpReilly in its acquisition of Zola Fruits of the World, makers of top-selling Coconut Waters, Akai Juices, and Dark Chocolate Covered Fruit.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its acquisition of Universal Fiber Systems, LLC, a producer of solution-dyed synthetic filament-based fibers.
- Represented Norcraft Companies, Inc. and Apax Partners in the US$610 million sale of Norcraft Companies to Fortune Brands Home & Security, Inc.
- Represented KarpReilly in its investment in Eureka! Restaurant Group, a leading California-based family of restaurants serving authentic, locally sourced food complemented with a curated selection of American craft beer, whiskey and spirits.
- Represented the management team in TIAA-CREF's formation and launch of Churchill Asset Management, a majority-owned subsidiary of the TIAA-CREF focused on originating, underwriting and managing senior loan investments, primarily in U.S. middle-market companies.
- Represented Summit Partners in its US$550 million acquisition of Ability Network, Inc., a health-care information technology provider.
- Represented KarpReilly in its investment in Patxi’s Pizza, a full-service pizza chain based in Sausalito, CA.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital and its portfolio company Caraustar Industries in the acquisition of The Newark Group, Inc., a manufacturer of recycled paperboard, linerboard, industrial tubes, cores and other converted products including book covers and packaging solutions.
- Represented SKM Equity Fund III, KarpReilly and Bob’s Discount Furniture in the sale of Bob’s Discount Furniture, a leading furniture retailer offering a wide variety of quality furnishings at everyday low prices, to Bain Capital.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its US$200 million acquisition of Flow International, a public company and the world’s leading developer and manufacturer of industrial waterjet systems for cutting and cleaning applications.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its US$147.5 million acquisition of KMT Group, a global leader in the design and manufacture of products utilizing ultrahigh-pressure pump technology in industrial manufacturing, surface preparation, and food processing applications.
- Represented American Industrial Partners and its portfolio company Allied Specialty Vehicles in the US$100 million acquisition of the Thor Bus division from Thor Industries.
- Represented Miller’s Ale House, SKM Equity Fund III and KarpReilly in the acquisition by Roark Capital Group of Miller’s Ale House, a growing casual dining restaurant chain.
- Represented American Industrial Partners and its portfolio company Allied Specialty Vehicles in the acquisition from Navistar of its Monaco, Holiday Rambler and R-Vision recreational vehicle businesses.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its acquisition of Caraustar Industries, a leading provider of recycled paperboard and related products.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its acquisition, in a 363 bankruptcy process, of Potomac Supply, a soft wood mill and wood product manufacturer.
- Represented KarpReilly in its acquisition of a majority interest in EbLens, an urban clothing and footwear retailer.
- Represented SKM Equity Fund III and Ollie’s Bargain Outlet in the sale of Ollie’s to CCMP Capital Advisors.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its US$26 million take private acquisition of Presstek, Inc., a supplier of digital offset printing solutions.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its US$413 million acquisition in a Canadian bankruptcy proceeding of Arctic Glacier, a producer, marketer and distributor of packaged ice.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its US$200 million acquisition of A10 Capital, a commercial real estate lender.
- Represented Kohlberg & Co. in its US$345 million sale of Central Parking Corp., a provider of parking services.
- Represented Kohlberg & Co. in its US$221 million sale of Niagara Lasalle Corp., a manufacturer of cold finished steel bars.
- Represented KarpReilly in its take private acquisition of XS Cargo, a Canadian closeout retailer.
- Represented a consortium of buyers in the US$223 million acquisition of Hooters of America Inc., the iconic restaurant chain, and one of its franchisees Texas Wings, Inc.
- Represented KarpReilly in its acquisition of Burger Lounge, an organic burger restaurant chain.
- Represented KarpReilly in its acquisition of Adrianna Papell, a woman’s clothing manufacturer.
- Represented Churchill Financial in its sale to Olympus Partners.
- Represented KarpReilly in its acquisition of Café Zupas, a fast dining restaurant chain.
- Represented UpToDate, a publisher of a medical clinical decision support system, in its sale to Wolters Kluwer.
- Represented KarpReilly in its acquisition of Trina Turk, a designer and manufacturer of contemporary women’s clothing.
- Represented Health Dialog, a provider of healthcare management, analytics and decision support, in its US$775 million sale to BUPA.
- Quoted, “Deals lawyers are masters of seeing the next move,” Financial Times (December 10, 2019)
- Quoted, “Building products sector bears brunt of housing slowdown fears,” Debtwire (November 23, 2018)
- Quoted, “Roundtable: Private Equity,” Financier Worldwide (April 2016)
- Quoted, “'Frustrated' deal-makers to broaden search in 2016,” Buyouts (December 28, 2015)
- Quoted, “Deal or No Deal,” Financial Executive (July/August 2013)
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1985
- BA, magna cum laude with distinction in Economics, Dartmouth College, 1981; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- IFLR1000 (2019-2020)
- Legal 500 (2014-2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2021)