Daniela Manrique Escobar
Daniela Manrique Escobar advises businesses in complex civil litigation and government enforcement matters and investigations. Daniela works with a diverse group of clients, including private equity firms, medical device manufacturers, public companies, investment management firms, and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Daniela handles Foreign Corrupt Practices Act internal investigations, and is also responsible for performing anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and sanctions due diligence and risk analyses. Daniela has written motions and briefs, and has performed different aspects of discovery, such as document review, document production, and deposition preparation. Daniela has also guided investment management firms facing excessive fee claims, and has advised a company in connection with its government-appointed compliance monitorship.
Daniela maintains an active pro bono practice, advising on immigration, and family law issues, for which she has written briefs and provided court representation. Daniela also represents indigent defendants in federal criminal proceedings through the firm’s participation in the Criminal Justice Act Program.
During law school Daniela represented clients as a student attorney at the Suffolk University Law School Family Advocacy Clinic, and interned at the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Family Protection and Sexual Assault Bureau. Daniela also competed in the 2013 National Health Law Moot Court Competition as a member of her law school’s team, and served as a legal research assistant for Professor Elizabeth Trujillo.
- Regularly conducts internal investigations for companies regarding
potential Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and company policy violations.
- Conducted internal investigations, including onsite interviews and audits, for a U.S.-based multinational medical device company involving anti-corruption issues in Latin America.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of client into allegations of bribery involving an energy company in South America.
- Conducted internal investigations, including onsite interviews, on behalf of client involving allegations of bribery and violations of company policy in Latin America.
- Implementing and conducting post-acquisition anti-corruption due diligence recommendations and forward risk mitigation plan for an information technology company in South America.
- Conducted an internal investigation into allegations of bribery and fraud for a Fortune 500 company in Thailand.
- Represented an engineering and construction Fortune 500 company in an internal white-collar corporate investigation in South America.
- Conducted an internal investigation into allegations of accounting fraud for a prestigious U.S. university.
Anti-Corruption & International Risks Compliance and Diligence
- Assists global hospitality and manufacturing companies with the restructuring of their anti-corruption compliance programs
- Regularly conducts pre-acquisition anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, and sanctions due diligence for large private equity firms.
- Regularly conducts due diligence media investigations of targets in high-risk markets in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Counseled a publicly-traded international food and beverage company on vendor anti-corruption due diligence.
- Prepares and conducts Foreign Corrupt Practices Act trainings for U.S. based multinational company’s subsidiaries located in Latin America.
- Performed reputational due diligence of target company on behalf of financial services client.
- Advised a U.S.-based multinational medical device company regarding its government-appointed compliance monitorship.
- Assisting global manufacturing company with the restructuring of their anti-corruption compliance program.
Litigation & Enforcement
- Counseled clients in matters involving the False Claims Act in the medical device sector.
- Participated in legal team currently defending three mutual fund advisers against claims of excessive fees, challenging the alleged differential between advisory and sub-advisory fees.
- Advised Harris Associates in a 1940 Act fee case.
- Advised in Tribune Company fraudulent conveyance action seeking clawback of $8 billion in leveraged buy-out proceeds.
- Currently representing two clients in custody and divorce proceedings in Suffolk Probate and Family Court.
- Currently representing unaccompanied minor in removal proceedings.
- Successfully represented client in immigration proceedings where the court granted the client Special Immigrant Juvenile status adjustment.
- Currently representing defendant in federal criminal proceedings through the firm’s participation in the Criminal Justice Act Program.
- Regularly advises clients on family law and immigration issues.
- Successfully represented client in Boston Immigration Court where the Court rescinded the client’s in absentia removal order and reopened the client’s immigration case.
- Successfully represented client in Suffolk Family and Probate Court where the court granted her client sole legal and physical custody of client’s child and order for special findings of fact and rulings of law.