Krista Evensen is an associate at Ropes & Gray in the litigation and enforcement practice group. She has experience in government and internal investigations, regulatory inquiries, and anti-corruption due diligence matters.
During law school, Krista served as the Managing Internet & Symposium Editor for the University of Illinois Law Review. In 2018, she received the Best Oralist award at the Williams Institute Moot Court Competition at UCLA for arguments involving whether Title IX affords protection on the basis of sex to transgender individuals. Krista also interned with Lawyers’ Committee for Better Housing, and she worked with the Illinois Innocence Project through a course clinic.
- Representing a public company in response to an SEC investigative subpoena.
- Investigating alleged FCPA and company policy violations of a biopharmaceutical company’s Latin American subsidiary.
- Represents private equity fund managers in connection with SEC examinations, with work including responding to exams, preparing key personnel for on-site interviews, and drafting responses to deficiency letters.
- Assisted in an internal investigation for a multinational commodities trading corporation into allegations of hedge accounting practices in violation of company policies and GAAP accounting standards.
- Regularly conducts anti-corruption, anti-bribery, and sanctions due diligence on potential acquisition targets of, and borrowers from, private equity firms in high-risk markets.
- Regularly conducts reviews of private equity and real estate fund advisers’ ESG programs to examine compliance with federal securities laws.
- Co-author, “Latin America Overview,” The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations, Fifth Edition (March 2021)
- Co-author, “COVID-19 Lands in Latin America: Mitigation Strategies for Increased Corruption Risk,” The Anti-Corruption Report (April 15, 2020)
- Author, “Preventing a Favela Whitewashing: How a Tax Code Revision Can Mitigate the Danger of Bare Title Rights to Rio De Janeiro’s Slum Residents,” 2019 U. ILL. L. REV. 773 (June 2019)
- JD, magna cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 2019
- MA (Hispanic Linguistics), University of Illinois, 2014
- BA (Spanish), University of Illinois, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2019