Matt Edwards joined Ropes & Gray in 2018 as an associate in the private equity department. Before joining the firm, Matt worked as a corporate associate at a large, international law firm representing clients, including financial sponsors and strategic buyers and sellers, in connection with leveraged buyouts, sell-side transactions, growth equity and minority investments, and other related strategic transactions.
During law school, Matt founded the NYU Law Sports Law Association and served as the Vice President of the Student Lawyer Athletic Program as well as an Admitted Student Ambassador and member of the Law and Business Association and Student Representation Project.
Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of a leading producer and distributor of a wide variety of fruits and vegetables across the United States as well as its related real property from a related entity.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection with the sale of one of its portfolio companies, a specialty chemical manufacturer and distributor focused on food safety and water treatments.
- Represented a private restaurant chain in the sale of a 50% equity position to an entertainment company.
- Represented a newly formed private equity fund as borrower’s counsel in the financing of its debt component.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection with the sale of one of its portfolio companies, a leading producer and distributor of produce across the United States.
- Represented a private restaurant chain in connection with an equity financing by a sports and entertainment venture firm.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection with the sale of a majority stake in one of its portfolio companies, a leading national provider of therapeutic services for individuals and families with autism and special needs.
- JD, New York University School of Law, 2016
- BA, cum laude, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 2012; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2017