Shanan Essick is an associate in Ropes & Gray’s business restructuring group. Shanan’s practice primarily focuses on business restructurings and complex distressed situations. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Shanan was an associate at a top Chicago law firm in the restructuring group.
While attending Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law and Kellogg School of Management, Shanan worked with a family law office that focused on health care private equity and venture transactions. Prior to law and business school, Shanan worked in financial and technology services. Shanan attended Columbia University in the city of New York’s Columbia College.
- Centric Brands: Representing Centric Brands Inc., a leading lifestyle brands collective, and certain of its subsidiaries in their chapter 11 cases to recapitalize approximately $1.8 billion in funded indebtedness. Centric filed with a restructuring support agreement backed by its key funded debtholders, $435 million in debtor-in-possession financing, and a path to a quick and consensual emergence with a capital structure reduced by approximately $700 million.
- Murray Energy Holdings Co.: Representing Murray Energy Holdings Co. and certain of its subsidiaries in their Chapter 11 cases in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Ohio. Murray is the largest privately-owned coal company in the United States, headquartered in St. Clairsville, Ohio, and has operations primarily in Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, Illinois, Utah, and Colombia, South America. Murray employs nearly 5,500 people, including approximately 2,400 active union members. Murray entered Chapter 11 with approximately $2.7 billion in prepetition funded debt and more than $8 billion in actual or potential pension and employee benefit obligations.*
- Alex and Ani, LLC: Represented Alex and Ani and its affiliates in their out-of-court restructuring. Alex and Ani designs, manufactures, and sells iconic, American-made jewelry. The transaction involved operational and financial initiatives, including amendments to the company’s credit facility and a new money investment. Existing equity retained control of the company.*
- Specialty Retail Shops Holding Corp.: Representation of Specialty Retail Shops Holding Corp. and its subsidiaries (“Shopko”), a retailer of general merchandise, including clothing, accessories, electronics, home furnishings, as well as company-operated pharmacy and optical-services departments, in their Chapter 11 cases in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Nebraska. As of its Chapter 11 filing, Shopko operated more than 360 stores in over 25 states. Shopko’s Chapter 11 cases are the largest ever filed in Nebraska.*
- Parker Drilling Company: Representing Parker Drilling Company and certain of its affiliates in connection with their prearranged Chapter 11 restructuring in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas. Parker is a leading international provider of contract drilling and drilling-related services and rental tools. Parker, together with its non-debtor affiliates, has operations in approximately 19 countries worldwide and employs over 2,400 employees. Parker’s prearranged plan of reorganization carries broad stakeholder support and proposes to reduce Parker’s funded-debt obligations by approximately $375 million and provide Parker with $95 million in fully-committed new equity capital upon emergence from Chapter 11.*
- SandRidge Energy, Inc.: Representing SandRidge Energy, Inc., an oil and natural gas company headquartered in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, in its prearranged Chapter 11 cases. Sandridge filed with a restructuring support agreement signed by holders of more than two-thirds by principal amount of its $4.1 billion of funded debt.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- JD, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, 2018
- MBA, Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management, 2018
- BA, Columbia College, Columbia University, 2007
Admissions / Qualifications
- Not admitted in New York
- Illinois, 2018