William S. Eggeling
Retired PartnerFollowing clerkships at the First Circuit and the United States Supreme Court, Bill Eggeling joined Ropes & Gray in 1976, and was a partner in the Litigation Group from 1983 until his retirement in 2010.
Bill's practice focused on defending various civil and criminal claims arising against clients in the financial services industry. Bill led a large scale, combined civil and criminal investigation and defense efforts on behalf of a major bank and its present and former officers and directors, which involved grand jury and attorney general investigations in at least eight states and federal districts, and spawned counterpart civil actions against the Bank and its present and former officers and directors, including claims ranging from negligent lending to securities fraud. Following the successful completion of these efforts, Bill's practice included:
- Defending the directors of a major satellite television provider against claims of breach of fiduciary and securities fraud;
- Representing a major air carrier against claims that the jet engines on several leased planes were inadequately maintained and were returned to the lessor in less than the required condition;
- Assisting allied venture capital funds to protect their investment in a fractional aircraft provider by defending and prosecuting the claims by and against that entity in numerous jurisdictions;
- Representing a director of a privately held banking institution against claims of breach of duty brought on behalf of the banking corporation;
- Defending an international software manufacturer against claims that it had misappropriated trade secrets and violated copyrights in connection with its release of a new version of its industry-leading business rules software; and
- Defending the managers of a limited liability partnership against claims of breach of the duties of loyalty and good faith.