William Fong joined Ropes & Gray in 2014 as an associate in the private equity transaction group of the corporate department in Hong Kong.
William’s practice focuses on advising public and private companies, including private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, on domestic and cross-border acquisitions and divestitures.
Prior to joining the firm, William has worked in London and Hong Kong for two other leading international law firms.
- Represented Goldman Sachs in its US$100 million convertible bond financing of a subsidiary of HKSE-listed GCL New Energy Holdings Limited, a leading developer and operator of renewable energy projects in the PRC.
- Represented a global investment bank in a US$100 million financing of an Indian-based wind turbine power plant developer. The financing included an issuance of BSE-listed NCDs, offshore debt, and warrants.
- Represented TPG in connection with various preferred equity minority investments in Chinese targets.
- Represented Morgan Stanley Private Equity in the sale of its portfolio company in the manufacturing sector in China.
- Represented China Media Capital in connection with various preferred equity minority investments in Chinese media targets.
- Represented China Media Capital in the going private acquisition of Charm Communications Inc., a NASDAQ-listed advertising agency group in China that offers integrated advertising services.*
- Represented Lenovo Group Limited in its US$2.9 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility from Google Inc.*
- Represented RPC Group Plc, an LSE-listed FTSE 250 manufacturing company, in its strategic acquisition of Ace Corporation Holdings Limited, a Hong Kong manufacturing company with operations in the PRC.*
- Represented Baring Private Equity Asia in its minority investment in a mining company in Laos.*
- Represented Headland Capital Partners in its sale of CCT Group Limited to iQor Inc.*
- Represented Providence Equity Partners in its proposed investment in a broadcast media company in Australia.*
- Represented The Government of Singapore Investment Corporation in its various pre-IPO investments in Asia.*
- Represented China Investment Corporation in its various pre-IPO investments in Asia.*
- Represented a leading European private equity sponsor in the reorganization and sale of a portfolio company in the consumer services sector with operations across Asia.*
*Transaction was completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray