Brad advises a broad range of clients from formation through initial public offering. His practice is focused on minority equity investments and also includes start-up and formation matters, corporate governance, debt and equity financing, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property licensing, employment and consulting arrangements, commercial agreements, and other general corporate matters. Brad represents clients in a variety of industries including biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, software, and technology. He also regularly represents venture capital, private equity, and other institutional investors in connection with portfolio company investments and exits.
- Regularly represents Bain Capital Ventures, Northpond Ventures, Pfizer Ventures, Sands Capital Ventures, Silversmith Capital Partners, and other institutional investors in various venture and growth capital equity investments.
- Represented biopharmaceutical company Sarepta Therapeutics in a strategic investment and licensing transaction with Lacerta Therapeutics, a gene therapy company, in which Sarepta entered into a license and option agreement for up to three new CNS-targeted gene therapy programs, including exclusive rights to Lacerta’s gene therapy candidate for Pompe Disease and options to two additional candidates, and made an equity investment of $30 million in Lacerta.
- Represented Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited in a partnership with Ambys Medicines, a company launched by Takeda and Third Rock Ventures, to discover and develop novel cell and gene therapies for liver disease. Takeda has committed $100 million and retains options to develop and commercialize products in certain geographies, including participation in the Series A financing.
- Represented Pfizer, a leading American pharmaceutical company, in a transaction with Allogene Therapeutics for Pfizer's portfolio of assets related to allogeneic chimeric antigen receptor T cell (CAR T) therapy, an investigational immune cell therapy approach to treating cancer.
- Represented Prevail Therapeutics, Inc., a startup focused on new biologics and gene therapies for Parkinson’s disease, in its formation, Series Seed financing, initial IP in-licensing, and with respect to various general corporate matters as ongoing outside counsel to the company. Prevail was launched and initially financed by The Silverstein Foundation and OrbiMed. In conjunction with its launch, Prevail entered into an exclusive worldwide license agreement with REGENXBIO Inc. to develop and commercialize gene therapy products using REGENXBIO’s NAV AAV9 vector for the treatment of Parkinson’s and other related neurodegenerative diseases.
- Represented Acceleron Pharma, a Cambridge-based biotech company that develops protein therapeutics for cancer and rare diseases, in its initial public offering and concurrent private placement by Celgene with aggregate proceeds of $94 million. The IPO was underwritten by Citigroup, Leerink Swann, JMP Securities and Piper Jaffray.
- Co-author, “Building a Better Mousetrap: A Physician’s Guide to Commercializing a Medical Device Invention,” American Health Lawyers Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law (October 2018)
- Presenter, “Negotiating a Series A Term Sheet,” Boston Bar Association (October 15, 2015)