Christopher Foo joined Ropes and Gray in 2021 as an associate in the data, privacy and cybersecurity practice. Christopher has experience advising companies ranging from start‐ups to multinational organisations on data protection and privacy issues such as data breach response procedures, binding corporate rules applications, impact assessments, and General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance projects. Before joining the firm, Christopher was an associate in the data protection department in the London office of another large international law firm.
- Led an ISO 27701 compliance project for a leading Asian e-commerce platform.
- Advised clients on data protection and cybersecurity aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and other corporate transactions and investments, and led the cybersecurity aspects of the diligence process on a $55 million Series B investment into a white hat cybersecurity training company.
- Drafted and reviewed a suite of GDPR privacy documentation for an electronic health record provider based in the U.S., including policies, notices and Article 28 agreements.
- Drafted data transfer impact assessments for clients, including a global financial technology company and a leading U.S. academic institution.
- Advised clients on applicable privacy practices and on other compliance matters, and drafted privacy/compliance documentation, legal memorandums and other ad-hoc advice for clients.
- Provided data transfer compliance, Brexit and other privacy or compliance training to clients, including to multinational private equity corporations.
Notable transactions in which Christopher has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advised multinational organisations on subject access request responses and procedures and data breach management, responses and notifications
- Conducted a multi‐jurisdictional survey of legal opinions regarding the scanning activities of a cybersecurity service provider
- Advised a British augmented reality company on its $500 million acquisition by a leading U.S. social media platform
- Advised a U.S. leader in accounting automation software on its $150 million acquisition of an AI‐powered accounts receivable automation and digital transformation cloud‐based platform
- Co-Author, "Comparative analysis of the proposed Chinese standard contract and EU standard contractual clauses," Global Data Review (December 14, 2022)
- Co-author, “Data Protection and Digital Information Bill: Key Proposals For Reform of the UK’s Data Protection Framework,” Entertainment Law Review (November 11, 2022)
- Co‐author, “New SCCs and the future of data transfers in the UK,” Privacy Laws & Business (March 2021)
- Co‐author, “The use of personal data in AI through the lens of data protection,” Privacy Laws & Business (November 2020)
- Contributor, “Chapter 41: Interaction between the GDPR, National Implementing Legislation and Sectoral Legislation,” Twenty‐First Institute on Privacy and Cybersecurity Law course handbook, Volume 2 (2020)
- Co‐author, “Artificial Intelligence: A push for regulation,” Privacy Laws & Business (May 2020)
- Co‐author, “Finding a Legal Ground for AI,” Privacy Laws & Business (September 2019)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LPC, University of Law, London, 2017
- LLB, King's College London, 2015
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2019