Daniel Flaherty is an associate in the litigation and enforcement practice group. Danny’s practice focuses on litigation and regulatory compliance issues and related risks faced by investment advisers in private equity, hedge funds, real estate, credit, fund-of-funds, digital asset, and other alternative asset classes. He routinely advises on obligations under the federal securities laws, often in connection with examinations and enforcement actions before the Securities & Exchange Commission. Danny also provides counsel in connection with business decisions and transactions, and complex commercial disputes.
In addition, Danny has experience representing clients in a broad array of industries – including mutual funds, life sciences firms, technology companies, and not-for-profit institutions – on a range of issues including international risk assessments, corporate governance matters, responding to data security incidents, investigating white collar crimes, and preparing for, initiating and defending federal and state litigation.
While in law school, Danny interned for Hon. F. Dennis Saylor IV, U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and completed coursework in business valuation and financial modeling.
- Successfully defended SEC enforcement investigations into alleged violations of the Investment Advisers Act and Exchange Act by real estate fund adviser, hedge fund adviser, and private equity fund adviser in matters involving expense allocation, insider trading, and other trading and disclosure issues.
- Counseled private fund advisers and affiliated broker dealer platforms in over one dozen SEC examinations.
- Represented private equity firms and their portfolio companies in civil litigation, including in wrongful death action, class action following payment card data security incident, and third-party subpoena disputes.
- Advised on internal investigation program in place at multinational life sciences company.
- Investigated market manipulation, revenue recognition, and kick-back issues.
- Conducted pre-acquisition anti-corruption due diligence.
- Assisted Criminal Justice Act appointed counsel in representation of criminal defendant charged with wire fraud.
- Co-author, “SEC Enforcement Against Private Equity: A Practical Guide for Private Funds,” The Securities Litigation Review, Fifth Edition (July 2019)
- Co-author, “Cybersecurity's Developing Role In FCPA Compliance,” Law360 (January 11, 2019)
- Co-author, “FCPA Corporate Enforcement Policy: Pilot Program Redux,” Law360 (March 1, 2018)
- Co-author, “Difficult Choices: Self-Reporting in Light of New DOJ FCPA Policy on Presumption of Declination,” Bloomberg BNA’s White Collar Crime Report (December 22, 2017)
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2017
- BA (Philosophy), General Honors, The University of Chicago, 2014; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2017