Daniel Flaherty is an associate in the litigation and enforcement practice group. Danny has experience advising on litigation and regulatory enforcement issues faced by private equity firms, hedge funds and other investment advisers, including in connection with SEC examinations, data security breaches, the FCPA, complex commercial disputes and internal investigations involving allegations of accounting misstatements, insider trading, fraud and embezzlement. Danny also draws on that experience to represent public and private companies and not-for-profit institutions in matters involving white collar crime, the federal securities laws, corporate governance disputes and transactional litigation.
While in law school, Danny interned for Hon. F. Dennis Saylor IV, U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts and completed coursework in business valuation and financial modelling.
- Represented a private equity portfolio company subject to payment card data security incident in class litigation brought by consumers and card-issuing banks.
- Counseled investment advisers in connection with SEC examinations probing potential conflicts of interest and expense allocation issues.
- Developed and implemented internal investigation program for multinational company operating in high-risk industry.
- Conducted pre-acquisition anti-corruption, trade sanctions and export control due diligence in connection with mergers, acquisitions and asset purchases.
- Assisted Criminal Justice Act appointed counsel in representation of criminal defendant charged with wire fraud.
- Co-author, “SEC Enforcement Against Private Equity: A Practical Guide for Private Funds,” The Securities Litigation Review, Fifth Edition (July 2019)
- Co-author, “Cybersecurity's Developing Role In FCPA Compliance,” Law360 (January 11, 2019)
- Co-author, “FCPA Corporate Enforcement Policy: Pilot Program Redux,” Law360 (March 1, 2018)
- Co-author, “Difficult Choices: Self-Reporting in Light of New DOJ FCPA Policy on Presumption of Declination,” Bloomberg BNA’s White Collar Crime Report (December 22, 2017)
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2017
- BA (Philosophy), General Honors, The University of Chicago, 2014; Phi Beta Kappa