Dan Freshman joined the corporate department as an associate in 2016.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Dan worked for the Major League Baseball Players Association in its Licensing & Business Affairs department, and at Canary, a technology startup company based in New York.
During law school, Dan was a national quarterfinalist for the American Intellectual Property Law Association’s Giles Sutherland Rich Memorial Moot Court Competition. Prior to attending law school, Dan served as the Director of Educational Programming for The Princeton Review in New England.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised MACOM Technology Solutions Holdings Inc., a supplier of analog RF, microwave, millimeterwave and lightwave semiconductors, on intellectual property matters in connection with the divestiture of its Compute business.
- Advised Atlantic Media on copyright, fair use, First Amendment and other intellectual property matters in connection with the acquisition of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic by the Emerson Collective, a non-profit organization founded and run by Laurene Powell Jobs.
- Advised TSG Consumer Partners, a private equity firm focused exclusively on the branded consumer sector, on intellectual property matters in connection with its minority investment in Huda Beauty, a beauty and cosmetics brand founded by beauty blogger and entrepreneur Huda Kattan.
Strategic Life Sciences Transactions
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in a $1 billion early stage discovery, research, development and commercial collaboration and multi-program option and license agreement focused on central nervous system disorders.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in an exclusive research collaboration, option and license agreement to develop next generation therapies for the treatment of a rare neuromuscular disorder. Depending on the success of the licensed programs, the pharmaceutical company may pay over $1.1 billion to its collaboration partner in cash milestone payments, as well as additional royalties on net sales.
- Advised Tmunity Therapeutics, a private clinical-stage biotherapeutics company, in connection with both its Series Seed and Series A financings, as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Advised Seventh Sense Biosystems, a private medical device company, in connection with its Series C financing as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Has advised various early stage biotechnology and medical device companies on various internal corporate governance, investment and intellectual property matters.
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Advised a global laboratory instrument and software company in a global privacy and cybersecurity assessment.
- Has advised various investment managers and asset management companies on compliance issues and best practices relating to data privacy and cybersecurity.
- Co-author, “Trump Cybersecurity Order: Ambitious Goals, Tight Timelines,” Law360 (May 16, 2017)