Dan Freshman is an associate in the intellectual property transactions and venture capital & emerging companies practices at Ropes & Gray. He focuses on representing companies in the technology, life sciences, and branded product industries in a variety of strategic transactions and partnerships, including license and collaboration agreements, venture financings, and mergers & acquisitions.
Dan represented clients in 3 of the top 10 largest biopharmaceutical licensing deals of 2020 measured by deal value, according to an analysis published in Fierce Biotech.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Dan worked for the Major League Baseball Players Association in its Licensing & Business Affairs department, and at Canary, a connected home technology company based in New York.
Licenses, Collaborations, Joint Ventures and Strategic Partnerships
- Advised Beam Therapeutics in various a collaboration and license agreements, including with Prime Medicine, Inc. to research and develop a novel gene editing technology called prime editing, and with Verve Therapeutics, pursuant to which Beam grants Verve exclusive rights to certain base editing, gene editing and delivery technologies for human therapeutic applications against cardiovascular targets.
- Advised BlueRock Therapeutics in its strategic research and development alliance with FUJIFILM Cellular Dynamics to discover and develop off-the-shelf iPS cell therapies for ocular diseases, including dry age-related macular degeneration and inherited retinal diseases.
- Advised Takeda Pharmaceuticals in various collaboration and license agreements, including its strategic multi-target partnership with Sosei Heptares to discover, develop and commercialize novel molecules that modulate G protein-coupled receptor targets, and its joint venture with Third Rock Ventures to form Ambys Medicines, a company founded to discover and develop novel cell and gene therapies for liver diseases.
- Advised Vivli, a nonprofit organization that collects and shares participant-level anonymized data from clinical trials, on various growth initiatives and product counseling matters relating to the development of its data sharing platform.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in an exclusive collaboration with a publicly traded biotechnology company to exclusively co-develop and co-commercialize a clinical stage small molecule inhibitor for the treatment of Parkinson’s Disease. The pharmaceutical company agreed to pay over $550 million in upfront payments, agreed to purchase over $450 million of the biotechnology company’s common stock, may pay up to $1.125 billion in potential milestone payments, will share costs of development globally as well as profits and losses in certain countries, and received exclusive options and rights of first negotiation with respect to future programs directed towards the treatment of certain neurodegenerative diseases.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in an exclusive multi-program collaboration with a publicly traded biotechnology company directed towards the joint development and commercialization of certain antibody therapies for the treatment of cancer. The pharmaceutical company agreed to pay $750 million in upfront payments, may pay over $3 billion in future milestone payments, and will share in the profits and losses with respect to the future development and commercialization of such product candidates in certain countries.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in a license and collaboration agreement with an international pharmaceutical company to acquire exclusive development and commercialization rights for a small molecule inhibitor program that may be used to potentially treat rare forms of hematological cancers. The pharmaceutical company may pay over $900 million in upfront and future milestone payments, plus potential future royalties.
- Advised Philos & Partners SA in connection with its investment in Neurelis, Inc.’s $114 million Series D preferred stock financing.
- Advised Seventh Sense Biosystems, a private medical device company, in connection with its Series C financing as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Advised Tmunity Therapeutics, a private clinical-stage biotherapeutics company, in connection with its Series Seed, Series A, and Series B financings, as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Advised Vivo Capital on various venture investments in companies in the technology, healthcare and biotechnology sectors.
- Has advised various venture-backed companies on venture financing, corporate governance, intellectual property, and other ongoing commercial matters, including Cyteir Therapeutics, Foghorn Therapeutics, GNS Healthcare, and Sigilon Therapeutics.
- Has advised various venture capital firms in early stage venture investments in companies in the technology, healthcare and biotechnology sectors.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised Atlantic Media on copyright, fair use, First Amendment and other intellectual property matters in connection with the acquisition of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic by the Emerson Collective, a non-profit organization founded and run by Laurene Powell Jobs.
- Advised MACOM Technology Solutions, a supplier of analog RF, microwave, millimeterwave and lightwave semiconductors, on intellectual property matters in connection with the divestiture of its Compute business.
- Advised Planet Fitness on intellectual property matters in connection with the acquisition of its franchisee Sunshine Fitness Growth Holdings, LLC and its related $900 million note offering under its whole-business securitization.
- Advised TSG Consumer Partners, a private equity firm focused exclusively on the branded consumer sector, on intellectual property matters in connection with its minority investment in Huda Beauty, a beauty and cosmetics brand founded by beauty blogger and entrepreneur Huda Kattan.
- Advised Visterra, Inc., a private clinical stage biopharmaceutical company, in its $430 million sale to Otsuka Pharmaceutical.
- Advised Waters Corporation, a leading specialty measurement company, in its acquisition of Andrew Alliance, an innovator in specialty laboratory automation technology, including software and robotics.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a preclinical biotechnology company for $245 million plus contingent consideration.
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Advised a global laboratory instrument and software company in a global privacy and cybersecurity assessment.
- Has advised various investment managers and asset management companies on compliance issues and best practices relating to data privacy and cybersecurity.
- Co-author, “Trump Cybersecurity Order: Ambitious Goals, Tight Timelines,” Law360 (May 16, 2017)
- Presenter, “Clinical Trial Data Sharing and Machine Learning Research,” Vivli Center for Global Clinical Research Data Webinar (March 2021)
- JD, Columbia University School of Law, 2016; James Kent Scholar; Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar; managing editor, Columbia Science & Technology Law Review
- BA (Psychology, Cognitive Science), with distinction, Cornell University, 2012
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2017
- Massachusetts, 2016
- Deal of Distinction (2021) in the life sciences category by the Licensing Executive Society for a global licensing collaboration to develop small molecule inhibitors for treatment of Parkinson’s disease and movement disorders.
- Deal of Distinction (2020) in the life sciences category by the Licensing Executive Society for a complex global licensing collaboration agreement to develop life changing treatments for neurological diseases.
- LMG Life Sciences Licensing & Collaboration Firm of the Year (2020)