Dan Freshman joined the corporate department as an associate in 2016.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Dan worked for the Major League Baseball Players Association in its Licensing & Business Affairs department, and at Canary, a connected home technology company based in New York.
Prior to attending law school, Dan served as the Director of Educational Programming for The Princeton Review in New England.
Licensing and Strategic Transactions
- Advised Beam Therapeutics in a collaboration and license agreement with Prime Medicine, Inc. to research and develop a novel gene editing technology called prime editing. As part of the collaboration, Beam will receive certain exclusive rights to develop prime editing technology, and each of the parties will grant each other non-exclusive cross-licenses to certain CRISPR technology and delivery technology.
- Advised Beam Therapeutics in a strategic collaboration with Verve Therapeutics, pursuant to which Beam grants Verve exclusive rights to certain base editing, gene editing and delivery technologies for human therapeutic applications against cardiovascular targets.
- Advised Takeda Pharmaceuticals in a strategic multi-target partnership with Sosei Heptares to discover, develop and commercialize novel molecules that modulate G protein-coupled receptor targets. Depending on the success of the partnership, Takeda may pay over $1.2 billion in upfront payments, research funding, and development, commercialization, and sales milestones.
- Advised Takeda Pharmaceuticals in a partnership with Ambys Medicines, a company launched by Takeda and Third Rock Ventures, to discover and develop novel cell and gene therapies for liver disease. Takeda has committed $100 million and retains options to develop and commercialize products in certain geographies, including participation in the Series A financing.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in a license and collaboration agreement with an international pharmaceutical company to acquire exclusive development and commercialization rights for a small molecule inhibitor program that may be used to potentially treat rare forms of hematological cancers. The pharmaceutical company may pay over $900 in upfront and future milestone payments, plus potential future royalties.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in a $1 billion early stage discovery, research, development and commercial collaboration and multi-program option and license agreement focused on central nervous system disorders.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in an exclusive research collaboration, option and license agreement to develop next generation therapies for the treatment of a rare neuromuscular disorder. Depending on the success of the licensed programs, the pharmaceutical company may pay over $1.1 billion to its collaboration partner in cash milestone payments, as well as additional royalties on net sales.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of a preclinical biotechnology company for $245 million plus contingent consideration.
- Advised Visterra, Inc., a private clinical stage biopharmaceutical company, in its $430 million sale to Otsuka Pharmaceutical.
- Advised MACOM Technology Solutions, a supplier of analog RF, microwave, millimeterwave and lightwave semiconductors, on intellectual property matters in connection with the divestiture of its Compute business.
- Advised Atlantic Media on copyright, fair use, First Amendment and other intellectual property matters in connection with the acquisition of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic by the Emerson Collective, a non-profit organization founded and run by Laurene Powell Jobs.
- Advised TSG Consumer Partners, a private equity firm focused exclusively on the branded consumer sector, on intellectual property matters in connection with its minority investment in Huda Beauty, a beauty and cosmetics brand founded by beauty blogger and entrepreneur Huda Kattan.
- Advised Tmunity Therapeutics, a private clinical-stage biotherapeutics company, in connection with its Series Seed, Series A, and Series B financings, as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Advised Seventh Sense Biosystems, a private medical device company, in connection with its Series C financing as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Has advised various early stage biotechnology and medical device companies on various internal corporate governance, investment and intellectual property matters.
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Advised a global laboratory instrument and software company in a global privacy and cybersecurity assessment.
- Has advised various investment managers and asset management companies on compliance issues and best practices relating to data privacy and cybersecurity.
- Co-author, “Trump Cybersecurity Order: Ambitious Goals, Tight Timelines,” Law360 (May 16, 2017)
- JD, Columbia University School of Law, 2016; James Kent Scholar; Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar; managing editor, Columbia Science & Technology Law Review
- BA (Psychology, Cognitive Science), with distinction, Cornell University, 2012