Dan Freshman joined the corporate department as an associate in 2016.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Dan worked for the Major League Baseball Players Association in its Licensing & Business Affairs department, and at Canary, a connected home technology company based in New York.
Prior to attending law school, Dan served as the Director of Educational Programming for The Princeton Review in New England.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised Visterra, Inc., a private clinical stage biopharmaceutical company, in its $430 million sale to Otsuka Pharmaceutical.
- Advised MACOM Technology Solutions, a supplier of analog RF, microwave, millimeterwave and lightwave semiconductors, on intellectual property matters in connection with the divestiture of its Compute business.
- Advised Atlantic Media on copyright, fair use, First Amendment and other intellectual property matters in connection with the acquisition of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic by the Emerson Collective, a non-profit organization founded and run by Laurene Powell Jobs.
- Advised TSG Consumer Partners, a private equity firm focused exclusively on the branded consumer sector, on intellectual property matters in connection with its minority investment in Huda Beauty, a beauty and cosmetics brand founded by beauty blogger and entrepreneur Huda Kattan.
Strategic Life Sciences Transactions
- Advised Takeda Pharmaceuticals in a partnership with Ambys Medicines, a company launched by Takeda and Third Rock Ventures, to discover and develop novel cell and gene therapies for liver disease. Takeda has committed $100 million and retains options to develop and commercialize products in certain geographies, including participation in the Series A financing.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in a $1 billion early stage discovery, research, development and commercial collaboration and multi-program option and license agreement focused on central nervous system disorders.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company in an exclusive research collaboration, option and license agreement to develop next generation therapies for the treatment of a rare neuromuscular disorder. Depending on the success of the licensed programs, the pharmaceutical company may pay over $1.1 billion to its collaboration partner in cash milestone payments, as well as additional royalties on net sales.
- Advised Tmunity Therapeutics, a private clinical-stage biotherapeutics company, in connection with both its Series Seed and Series A financings, as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Advised Seventh Sense Biosystems, a private medical device company, in connection with its Series C financing as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Has advised various early stage biotechnology and medical device companies on various internal corporate governance, investment and intellectual property matters.
Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Advised a global laboratory instrument and software company in a global privacy and cybersecurity assessment.
- Has advised various investment managers and asset management companies on compliance issues and best practices relating to data privacy and cybersecurity.
- Co-author, “Trump Cybersecurity Order: Ambitious Goals, Tight Timelines,” Law360 (May 16, 2017)
- JD, Columbia University School of Law, 2016; James Kent Scholar; Harlan Fisk Stone Scholar; managing editor, Columbia Science & Technology Law Review
- BA (Psychology, Cognitive Science), with distinction, Cornell University, 2012