David A. Fine
David serves as general outside counsel to a broad range of corporate organizations, handling their mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and minority investments, securities, public, private, venture and other equity and debt financing and investment transactions, proxy fights, executive compensation, contracting, governance, and other general corporate issues. His clients—which include Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, Cabot Corporation, EMCOR Group, Inc., Eversource, ISQ Global Infrastructure Fund, Michaels Stores, Inc., Planet Fitness, Plymouth Rock Assurance, TransAct Technologies and V.F. Corporation—represent key sectors of the global economy: technology, energy, airline/transportation, financial services, retail, industrial services, and higher education.
A Ropes & Gray partner since 1990, David served as the co-head of the firm’s Federal Securities and Public Company practice from January 2002 through May 2006, as chair of the firm’s Diversity Committee from 2005 to 2010 and now serves as co-chair of the firm’s energy/infrastructure practice.
- Represented Champion Enterprises Holdings in a reverse merger with Skyline Corporation to create the nation’s largest publicly traded factory-built housing company.
- Represented NSTAR in its recent merger with Northeast Utilities, which created Eversource, one of the nation’s largest utilities, with an enterprise value totaling $17.5 billion. He also represented NSTAR in its disposition of the Medical Area Total Energy Plant to Morgan Stanley Infrastructure Partners and Veolia as well as its disposition of its fossil and nuclear power plants.
- Represented I Squared Capital in its joint venture with Veolia Energy and the venture’s acquisition of the Kendall Square Power Station.
- Represented Planet Fitness in its acquisition by TSG Consumer Partners and Planet Fitness in its subsequent IPO.
- Represented Direct Response Corp and Plymouth Rock Corporation in the sale of Direct Response to Trinity Universal Insurance Company, and represented Palisades Safety and Insurance Association in its acquisition of National Atlantic Holdings.
- Represented Emcor Group in its acquisitions of Ohmstede Ltd, USM Services and Repcon Services.
- Represented Weston Jesuit School of Theology in its affiliation with Boston College through the Ecclesiastical Faculty at Boston College.
- Represented Atlas Air Worldwide in its $100 million registered common stock offering, its $100 million registered underwritten secondary common stock offering, its acquisition of Southern Air Holdings, and regularly represents Atlas in connection with governance, securities, compensation and general corporate matters.
- Co-author, “New wave of shareholder activism prompts M&A activity,” International Law Office (April 2, 2014)
- Co-author, “Investing Your Way Into FERC Jurisdiction: A Warning to Compliance Officers and Company Counsel,” Bloomberg BNA’s Securities Regulation & Law Report (October 6, 2014)