Deanna Foster represents companies and individuals in criminal, civil, and regulatory enforcement actions, civil and criminal litigation, and internal investigations. Deanna’s experience includes matters involving allegations of health care fraud, false claims, improper marketing practices, corporate practice of medicine, and violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute, Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. In addition, Deanna regularly counsels clients on the development and implementation of comprehensive compliance programs, with a focus on managing third-party relationships. Further, Deanna helps clients proactively evaluate and manage their global corruption and compliance risk through tailored risk assessments.
Deanna maintains an active pro bono practice focused on providing criminal and civil legal services to incarcerated individuals and low-income individuals whose lives have been negatively affected by an encounter with the criminal justice system.
Deanna joined the firm in 2014, after serving as a law clerk to the Honorable Glen E. Conrad, Chief Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia. Prior to law school, Deanna attained the designation of Fellow of the Casualty Actuarial Society while working as an actuary for the largest publicly-held personal lines property and casualty insurer in the United States.
- Conducting an internal investigation into commercial bribery and kickback allegations concerning the Brazil office of a global analytical laboratory instrument manufacturer.
- Advising the board members of a medical technology company in connection with several related matters, including a class action lawsuit, multiple shareholder derivative suits, qui tam (whistleblower) complaints, and civil and criminal investigations by the DOJ and FDA.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in connection with DOJ and SEC investigations involving alleged FCPA violations.
- Counseled individuals and corporations responding to subpoenas and civil investigative demands, as well as informal requests for cooperation from the DOJ.
- Designed and conducted proactive risk assessments for multinational companies, including clients in the life sciences and investment management industries.
- Developed anti-corruption and third-party compliance programs for clients with operations in high-risk countries.
- Conducted pre- and post-acquisition FCPA due diligence.
- Co-author, “Risky business for pharma,” Pharmaceutical Market Europe (February 8, 2018)
- Co-author, “Patients, Payers, Prosecutors, and the Role of the Copay,” Bloomberg BNA’s Health Care Fraud Report (January 10, 2018)
- Co-author, “What Happens In Latin America No Longer Stays In Latin America,” Law360 (November 30, 2015)
- Zachary Brez, Nicholas Berg, Timothy Farrell and Deanna Foster, “Make No Mistake: The “New Normal” of Aggressive Anti-Money Laundering Enforcement Against Financial Institutions,” Bloomberg BNA “Corporate Law & Accountability Report” (May 1, 2015)
- Laura Hoey, Samad Pardesi and Deanna Foster, “MedTech Europe Calls for the End of Direct Sponsorship” Bloomberg BNA Medical Devices & Law Industry Report (January 21, 2015)