Joel F. Freedman
Joel represents public and private companies in the full range of their business and legal needs as well as institutional equity investors. As a former vice-president and general counsel of a public telecommunications provider, he approaches matters with a deep awareness and appreciation of the business priorities of operating companies from the client side of the relationship. For operating companies, Joel focuses on public company reporting and compliance, governance matters, merger and acquisition activities, public and private equity and debt financings, and general legal advice. Venture, growth and other investors rely on Joel’s counsel for matters ranging from evaluating and structuring initial investments through assisting with investment exits.
- Represented The TJX Companies, Inc., the leading off-price retailer of apparel and home fashions in the U.S. and worldwide, including in its acquisition of Sierra Trading Post, Inc., an off-price Internet retailer and Trade Secrets, an Australia-based off-price retailer, various public offerings of an aggregate of $2.25 billion of senior notes, and general SEC, governance and corporate matters.
- Advised Acushnet Holdings Corp., the global leader in the design, development, manufacture and distribution of performance driven golf products, with established positions across all major golf equipment and golf wear categories under its globally recognized brands of Titleist, FootJoy, Scotty Cameron and Vokey Design, in general corporate matters, including acquisitions, SEC reporting and compliance.
- Advised Wolverine World Wide, Inc., one of the world's leading marketers of branded casual, active lifestyle, work, outdoor sport, athletic, children's and uniform footwear and apparel, in general corporate matters, including SEC reporting and compliance.
- Represented MicroVision, Inc., a pioneer in laser beam scanning (LBS) technology that can be used in products for interactive projection, consumer LiDAR, automotive LiDAR, and augmented and mixed reality, since 2002, in its general corporate matters, including SEC reporting and compliance; multiple PIPE financings of notes, preferred shares, common shares and warrants; underwritten and registered direct offerings; and equity commitment facilities.
- Advised Carter’s, Inc., a leading provider of children’s apparel, including in its 144A issuance of senior notes, its IPO and secondary offerings, its acquisition of public company OshKosh, and its acquisition of Bonnie Togs in Canada, as well as governance, compliance, and SEC reporting.
- Advised Nordion, Inc., formerly MDS, Inc., a global life sciences provider of products and services for the development of drugs and diagnosis and treatment of disease, in its acquisition by tender offer of public company Molecular Devices.
- Represented The Gymboree Corporation in SEC reporting and compliance as well as its 144A issuance of senior notes.
- Represented LifeStance Health, Inc. in its acquisition of Child & Family Psychological Services.
- Represented SquareTrade in its sale to Allstate Insurance Company.
- Advised defi Solutions in connection with its combination with Fiserve Automotive Solutions
- Advised Silversmith Capital in connection with multiple growth investments and acquisitions, including MediQuant, Upperline Health, Boston Health Economics, Axiom and Partners Surgical.
- Advised various lead investors such as Fidelity, Passport Capital, Sio Capital, Allianz, Westfield Capital, Moore Capital, and Brookside Capital in late-stage minority equity investments and PIPES including DropBox, Nuvation Bio, Orexigenics, Chewy.com, Mirakl, Houzz, Adamis Pharmaceuticals, SpaceX, Beigene, Cloudera, Intarcia Therapeutics, Cullinan Oncology, Wave Life Sciences, Paratek, Lookout, New Relic, GrubHub, SurveyMonkey, Magic Leap, AltioStar, Oppurtun and Nutanix.
- Represented various lead investors including Cayuga Ventures, Sands Capital Ventures, Bain Capital Ventures, Providence Strategic Growth, Pfizer Ventures, Pentland Group PLC and Northpond Ventures in early stage and growth equity investments in ObserveIT, SoCar, Hooklogic, Unikrn, Bindle Chat, eXperticity, GiveGab, Shulogique, Hireology, Apixio, Bitcoin Oppurtunity Corp., Hickies, Tracksmith, SnappApp, Task Rabbit, Reflexion, Palleon, Duck Duck Moose, Bellhops, BevSpot, Educents, Intrinsiq, Incodema3D, eXperticity and Remedy Partners.
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 1989
- BA (Economics), cum laude, Brandeis University, 1986