Kaori’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance transactions and other general corporate matters, including advising companies with regards to corporate governance and control issues. She represents private equity funds, investment banks and corporate clients. Kaori regularly works with clients on transactions in Japan and across Asia.
Prior to joining the firm in 2012, Kaori was a part of the corporate team at an international law firm in Tokyo.
- Bain Capital in the approximately $500 million leveraged tender offer for all of the shares of Macromill, Inc.
- Bain Capital in its acquisition of 50% of Jupiter Shop Channel Co., Ltd.
- Baring Private Equity in its leveraged buyout of a Japanese business.
- Represented Bally International and a global private equity firm in their acquisition of shares in Bally Japan and the trademarks from a joint venture partner in connection with the firm’s exit from Bally.
- Represented a global private equity fund in the purchase of a majority stake in a Japanese distributor of apparel and accessories, and the purchase of trademarks from a past investor.
- Represented a private equity firm in South Korea in the consortium's US$1.2 billion going-private management buyout of an additional approximately 23 percent stake of a theme park operator in Japan.
- Represented a US-based solar company in the acquisition of a Korean solar company, and its Japanese subsidiary.
- Analyzing scheme and implementing corporate reorganization structures with the combinations of corporate demerger, share exchange (kabushiki kokan) and share transfer (kabushiki iten) for restructuring the group companies.
- Negotiating and drafting cross border transactions and domestic transactions such as joint venture agreements, business alliance agreements, license agreements and distribution agreements.
- LLM, Columbia University School of Law, 2004
- Diploma of Completion, The Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan, 1999
- LLB, University of Tokyo, 1997