Kent Ford is an associate in Ropes & Gray’s Litigation and Enforcement practice group. Kent has experience representing clients in civil and criminal government enforcement matters and a variety of commercial disputes. He regularly conducts pre-acquisition deal diligence and post-acquisition risk analyses for anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and export controls compliance.
While in law school, Kent externed at the U.S. Department of Justice in the Aviation & Admiralty Section of the Civil Division, Torts Branch. He also served as a legal fellow for the National Association of Manufacturers.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Kent managed partnerships on behalf of the United Nations with Fortune 100 companies and startups to advocate and fundraise for humanitarian programs globally.
- Regularly conducts pre-acquisition anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and export controls compliance due diligence in English and Spanish for large private equity firms and other clients operating in high-risk jurisdictions globally.
- Advising a private equity firm on a global anti-corruption risk assessment of its portfolio companies.
- Counseling a hedge fund on the development and implementation of an anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, and sanctions due diligence program for a hospitality sector construction project in Argentina.
- Representing mutual fund investment advisers against claims of excessive fees under Section 36(b) of the Investment Company Act of 1940.
- Represented a large private equity firm in a pre-closing dispute with a boutique beauty brand over representations in a purchase agreement, resulting in a successful renegotiation of the purchase price.
- Represented a credit investment firm responding to a DOL examination.
- Represented an individual in an investigation by the SEC alleging insider trading.
Pro bono Practice
- Representing an individual seeking asylum from persecution based on her gender identity in her home country.
- Representing an individual in a Federal Tort Claims Act claim for damages arising from unlawful immigration detention.
- Co-author, “Recent Developments in Latin American Anti-Corruption Enforcement,” The Anti-Corruption Report (January 9, 2018)