Kent Ford is an associate in Ropes & Gray’s Litigation and Enforcement practice group. Kent has experience representing clients in a variety of commercial disputes and white collar government investigations and enforcement matters. He regularly conducts internal investigations, pre-acquisition due diligence, and proactive risk assessments related to compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), anti-money laundering requirements, economic sanctions, and export controls.
While in law school, Kent externed at the U.S. Department of Justice in the Aviation & Admiralty Section of the Civil Division, Torts Branch. He also served as a legal fellow for the National Association of Manufacturers.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Kent managed partnerships on behalf of the United Nations with Fortune 100 companies and startups to advocate and fundraise for humanitarian programs globally.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a Spanish manufacturer regarding allegations of bribery at its Vietnam subsidiary.
- Regularly conducts pre- and post-acquisition due diligence of anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and export controls compliance for large corporate and private equity clients globally.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a multinational pharmaceutical company’s operations in Colombia, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, and Venezuela in connection with whistleblower allegations concerning violations of the FCPA and related compliance policies.
- Advises venture capital firms on anti-corruption compliance matters, including developing best practices compliance programs and analyzing third-party agreements and due diligence concerns.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a Spanish construction company regarding concerns of potential accounting fraud and director liability.
- Counseled a hedge fund on the development and implementation of an anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, and sanctions due diligence program for a construction project in Argentina.
- Represented a large healthcare system in an internal investigation of federal grant application practices.
- Conducts proactive portfolio risk assessments for leading private equity firms on global corruption, money laundering, economic sanctions, and export controls risk.
- Advises financial institutions in responding to subpoenas, including for government examinations and third-party subpoenas in civil litigation.
- Represented mutual fund investment advisers against claims of excessive fees under Section 36(b) of the Investment Company Act of 1940.
- Represented a large private equity firm in a pre-closing dispute with a boutique beauty brand over representations in a purchase agreement, resulting in a successful renegotiation of the purchase price.
- Represented a former investment banking employee in an investigation by the SEC alleging insider trading.
- Assisted in defense of a senior executive of an aircraft manufacturer in a global criminal investigation involving allegations of bribery and corruption related to sales practices.
Pro bono Practice
- Represents individuals seeking asylum from persecution in their home countries through both affirmative and defensive asylum proceedings.
- Represents an individual in a Federal Tort Claims Act claim for damages arising from unlawful immigration detention.
- Represents an individual in an appeal of a capital sentence imposed by judicial override.
- Co-author, “Mexico Corruption Fight: All Rhetoric?” LatinVex (July 21, 2021)
- Co-author, “Worth the Wait? DOJ’s First FCPA Opinion in Six Years Finds that Payment to Government-Owned Entity Does Not Violate the FCPA,” Ropes & Gray Alert (August 31, 2020)
- Co-author, “Costa Rica Enacts Corporate Criminal Liability for Acts of Bribery; Enforcement May Soon Follow,” Ropes & Gray Alert (October 4, 2019)
- Co-author, “Recent Developments in Latin American Anti-Corruption Enforcement,” The Anti-Corruption Report (January 9, 2019)
- JD, cum laude, American University Washington College of Law, 2017; Senior Symposium Editor, American University Law Review
- BA (International Studies & Spanish), cum laude, University of Mississippi, 2010
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2019