Kurt Fowler is a litigation associate based in Ropes & Gray’s Chicago office. Kurt has experience representing clients in connection with government enforcement actions, internal investigations, compliance matters, and complex commercial litigation. Kurt regularly assists private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies to identify, assess, and mitigate corruption, sanctions, and money-laundering risks related to various transactions and investments.
Kurt attended the University of Chicago Law School where he was a member of The University of Chicago Law Review. Kurt also spent time providing legal defense services to at-risk Chicago youth through the University of Chicago’s Criminal and Juvenile Justice Project.
- Completed a full-time secondment at a major private equity firm, assisting with anti-corruption and international risk compliance.
- Represented multinational life sciences company in connection with an internal investigation into multiple instances of possible bribery.
- Developed anti-corruption and third-party compliance programs for clients with operations in high-risk countries.
- Conduct anti-corruption and international risk due diligence pre and post deal.
- Representing individual executive in the DOJ’s international investigation into diesel emissions.
- Representing major pharmaceutical company in an investigation by DOJ into alleged violations of the False Claims Act.
- Represented multinational life sciences company in connection with potential violations of sanctions and export control laws.
- Represented multiple companies in connection with global anti-corruption and sanctions focused risk assessments.
- Represented private equity firm and health care companies in class action litigation in state and federal court.
- Successfully represented pro bono client in appeal of lawsuit alleging breach of contract and fraud.
- Obtained asylum for Tajik woman persecuted on account of her non-conformity with prevailing social, political, and religious norms and who feared future persecution on account of her status as a lesbian.