Christy Gately is an associate in the litigation and privacy and cybersecurity groups. As a Certified Information Privacy Professional, Christy advises clients on a broad range of privacy and cybersecurity issues concerning U.S. federal and state laws and assists clients in responding to data breach incidents. Christy also represents clients in government investigations and complex civil litigation matters. Since joining the firm, Christy has been active in pro bono work, with a particular emphasis on evaluating wrongful conviction claims. She also serves as a Co-Leader for the Women’s Forum in the San Francisco office.
Privacy and Cybersecurity:
- Advises companies on data privacy and cybersecurity issues, including compliance with the FTC Act, GLBA, TCPA and state notification and data security laws.
- Develops policies to ensure compliance with information security laws, including those under the GLBA and various state statutes.
- Represented companies on potential notification obligations resulting from data breaches.
- Advises clients on various consumer protection issues, including those related to unfair and deceptive marketing claims under Section 5 of the FTC Act.
Government and Internal Investigations:
- Represents major pharmaceutical companies in government investigations related to violations of False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Represented medical device manufacturer in an internal investigation regarding violations of federal securities laws.
- JD, magna cum laude, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 2016; Senior Managing Editor, Hastings Law Journal
- BA (Sociology and Political Science), cum laude, University of California, Los Angeles, 2013