Baldemar Gonzalez joined Ropes & Gray’s litigation and enforcement group in 2019. As an associate, he focuses his practice on white collar criminal defense, governmental and internal investigations, and related civil litigation. His experience includes representing companies in matters involving the False Claims Act and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, government enforcement actions, internal investigations, and complex commercial litigation. Baldemar also maintains an active pro bono practice that includes representing asylum seekers. During law school, Baldemar served as a managing editor of the Columbia Law Review and was named a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. Baldemar has experience mediating disputes in New York City courts.
- Performs internal investigations for global companies and their subsidiaries involving allegations of bribery and violations of company policy in Latin America.
- Represented U.S.-based oil and gas company involved in investigation into potential FCPA and other corruption risks arising from business dealings involving a former high-ranking Peruvian energy consultant.
- Represented major multinational pharmaceutical and medical device company operations in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, and Poland in connection with whistleblower allegations of FCPA violations and related compliance policies.
Anti-Corruption & International Risks Compliance and Diligence
- Conducts pre- and post-acquisition anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, and sanctions due diligence for large financial services and private equity clients.
- Performs proactive FCPA risk assessments for major multinational companies’ global operations.
- Conducts due diligence media investigations of target companies in high-risk markets.
Civil and Criminal Litigation
- Represents entertainment company in parallel actions in Delaware Court of Chancery brought by former stockholders asserting various breaches of fiduciary duties in connection with multi-billion-dollar merger.
- Represents non-profit institution in resolving claims related to allegations of historical sexual misconduct by a former employee.
- Represents ABA therapy provider in connection with criminal probe and related False Claims Act investigation.
- Represented major biotech company in prosecution by DOJ alleging Anti-Kickback Statute and False Claims Act violations related to patient assistance programs.
- Represented private equity sponsor in expedited litigation before Delaware Court of Chancery concerning application of a “material adverse event” clause in light of public company’s performance during COVID-19 pandemic.
- Co-author, “How to Build Effective Internal Communication Channels,” Latin Lawyer (2023)
- Co-author, “Building Effective Internal Communication Channels and Adapting Employee Compliance Training,” Latin Lawyer (2022)
- Author, Note, When Tort Falls Short: Crisis, Malpractice Liability, and Women’s Healthcare Access, 119 Colum. L. Rev. 1099 (2019)
- Speaker, “Conflict Resolution for a Sustainable World,” Youth Assembly at the United Nations (February 16, 2018)
- JD, Columbia Law School, 2019
- BA (Criminal Justice), Gannon University, 2014
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2020