Gil J. Ghatan
Gil Ghatan is counsel in the tax and benefits department focusing his practice on nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations.
Gil regularly advises colleges and universities, health care organizations, private foundations and other nonprofit and tax-exempt clients in connection with affiliations, acquisitions, mergers, dissolutions, joint ventures, unrelated business income tax matters, executive compensation, and employee benefit plans.
- Provided tax and benefits counsel in connection with multiple different affiliations of community hospitals, large hospital systems and academic medical centers.
- Advised multiple for-profit companies regarding corporate charitable activities and formation of company foundations.
- Counseled organizations with respect to qualification under group exemption rules.
- Provided guidance to large private foundation with respect to applicability of excess business holding rules to its planned acquisitions.
- Advised medical university in connection with formation of a technology transfer vehicle and negotiation of a collaboration agreement with a for-profit technology development corporation.
- Provide regular, ongoing counsel regarding qualified and nonqualified plans.
- Co-author, “No More Free Parking? Qualified Transportation Fringes for Exempt Orgs,” Tax Notes (January 14, 2019)
- Quoted, “Practitioners Seek More Guidance for Nonprofit Hospitals,” Tax Notes (February 13, 2018)
- Quoted, “Reading the tea leaves in a hospital's loss of tax-exempt status,” Healthcare Dive (September 12, 2017)
- Author, “Goodbye ACA, but Tax-Exempt Hospital Provisions Are Here to Stay,” Tax Notes (May 29, 2017)
- “The Incentive Problem with Prospective Overruling: A Critique of the Practice,” forthcoming in ABA Real Property, Trust and Estate Journal (Spring 2010)
- LLM (Taxation), New York University School of Law, 2010
- JD, cum laude, New York University School of Law, 2009; Robert Mckay Scholar; Executive Articles Editor, NYU Annual Survey of American Law
- ScM (Geological Sciences), Brown University, 2004
- ScB (Geological Sciences), with Honors, Brown University, 2003