Gregg M. Galardi
Gregg Galardi is a restructuring attorney with broad global experience. Gregg has represented some of the most well -known debtors and distressed borrowers in the world, in a wide variety of industries. Gregg has over 25 years of experience in both in court and out of court restructurings and reorganizations. He also serves the firm's sponsor client base and portfolio company clients in distressed M&A and special situations.
Gregg is a Fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy. He formerly served as an adjunct professor at Vanderbilt Law School and is a frequent speaker on Chapter 11 issues.
Gregg has garnered significant accolades for his work, including recognition as a “Star Individual” by Chambers & Partners. Chambers USA has recognized Gregg in the area of Bankruptcy/Restructuring. His “reputation as an outstanding practitioner precedes him,” as he “is considered one of the foremost restructuring experts in the country,” with “a very strong track record in large debtor cases.” In addition, he has been praised for his “understanding of client objectives” and for “wanting to execute aggressively and take a pragmatic approach in reaching those goals.” Gregg “does a great job of being succinct and capturing issues in a way that can be digested by business people.” In 2013 and 2014, the Global M&A Network honored Gregg as one of the Top 100: Global Restructuring and Turnaround Professionals. The Legal 500 United States has recommended him, as he has a “wealth of experience.”
- Representing Rubio’s Grill, the operator and franchisor of approximately 170 limited service restaurants across California, Arizona and Nevada, in its chapter 11 cases to reduce its secured indebtedness on a consensual basis, address its operational footprint, and obtain a significant liquidity infusion upon emergence from chapter 11.
- Representing VIP Cinema Holdings, Inc. and certain of its affiliates (“VIP”), a multinational enterprise that is one of the largest manufacturers, and a pioneer, of luxury seating products for movie theaters, in its prepackaged Chapter 11 case in Delaware. In connection with its restructuring, VIP reached agreements with its first lien and second lien lenders, and its private equity sponsor, prior to filing the Chapter 11 case to deleverage its balance sheet by approximately $178 million.
- Lead counsel representing AeroGroup International LLC, a women’s footwear retailer, in its Chapter 11 case.
- Lead counsel representing Elliott Management Corporation as the largest unsecured creditor in the Chapter 11 cases of Energy Future Intermediate Holding Company LLC and its debtor affiliates.
- Lead counsel representing Gawker Media, LLC, a media publication, in its Chapter 11 case.
- Lead counsel representing City Sports Inc., a retailer, in its Chapter 11 case.
- Lead counsel representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation, et. al., an oil and gas exploration company, in its Chapter 11 case.
- Co-lead counsel representing Standard General, a hedge fund, in its debtor in possession financing and acquisition of a substantial part of the business and assets of RadioShack in its Chapter 11 case.*
- Lead counsel representing Delia’s Inc., a teen clothing company, in its Chapter 11 case.*
- Lead counsel representing Noble Logistics, a privately held logistics company, in its Chapter 11 case.*
- Lead counsel representing Ahern Rentals, a family owned equipment rental company, with over $620 million in debt, in its successful Chapter 11 reorganization in which equity retained its ownership upon emergence.*
- Lead counsel representing Reddy Ice, Inc., a packaged ice company, in its over US$100MM Chapter 11 reorganization.*
- Lead counsel representing Trailer Bridge, Inc., a shipping company, in its Chapter 11 reorganization.*
- Lead counsel representing CIT Group, Inc. in the largest pre-packaged bankruptcy and fifth largest bankruptcy case of all time, with its successful Chapter 11 Reorganization.*
- Lead counsel representing Fisker Automotive, in the A123 Chapter 11 case.*
- Lead counsel representing Boston Finance Group, the Unsecured Creditors’ Committee Chair, in the Revstone Chapter 11 cases.*
Representations completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.*
- Quoted, “Gawker Adviser to Market Potential Claims Against Peter Thiel,” The Wall Street Journal (November 2, 2017)
- Martin A. Sosland, Adam Langley, The Honorable Kevin Gross, and Gregg M. Galardi, “Reorganizing Failing Businesses, Third Edition: Volume I, Part II, Chapter 11 Proceedings,” American Bar Association (2017)
- Contributing author, “Chapter 11 Bankruptcy and Restructuring Strategies,” Thomson Reuters (2015)
- “Are Gift Card Holders Receiving Better Treatment in Situations of Insolvency? A US vs UK Comparison,” Global Insights, Issue 16, Q4 (2015) (reprinted in Law 360)
- “Chapter 15: Section 363 Review Trumps Comity,” Global Insights, Issue 15, Q3 (2015)
- “Chapter 15 Venue Selection: Foreign Representatives – Delaware Delivers,” Global Insights, Issue 9, Q1 (2014)
- Panelist, “Retail Reinvention,” Debtwire Investors Summit (April 26, 2018)
- JD, cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Law School, University of Pennsylvania Law Review
- PhD (Philosophy), University of Pennsylvania
- MA (Economics), University of Pennsylvania
- BA, cum laude, University of Pennsylvania
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- IFLR1000 (2019-2020)
- Turnaround Atlas Awards: Cross Border Turnaround Winner for the Global A&T Electronics restructuring (2018)
- Benchmark Litigation (2018-2019)
- The Best of the Best Expert Guide, Top 30 practitioners of Restructuring and insolvency law (2017)
- The Legal 500 U.S. (2017-2018)
- Turnaround Atlas Awards: Special Situation M&A Deal of the Year for Gawker Media Chapter 11 Reorganization sale to Univision (2017)
- Law360 “Bankruptcy MVP” (2016)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2005-2018, 2020-2021)
- Benchmark Litigation “Top 10 Bankruptcy Practitioners” (2017); “National Litigation Star” (2017-2018)
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2016-2021)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2016-2021)
- New York Super Lawyers (2007-2020)
- Who's Who Legal (2016)
- Global M&A Network: Top 100: Global Restructuring and Turnaround Professionals (2013-2014)
- M&A Advisor: Sector Deal of the Year for Professional Services Award for work performed in Ahern Rentals (2013)
- Turnaround Atlas Awards: Restructuring Deal of the Year (middle market) for Reddy Ice, Inc. (2013)
- Turnaround Atlas Awards: Transport & Logistics Turnaround of the Year for Trailer Bridge, Inc. (2013)
- Chambers and Partners: Star Individual (2012)
- M&A Advisor: Restructuring Deal of the Year Award (over US$100mm) for Reddy Inc, Inc. (2012)
- Turnaround Atlas: Prepackaged Chapter 11 Reorganization of the Year Award for CIT Group, Inc. (2010)
- Investment Dealers' Digest: Restructuring Deal of the Year Award for CIT Group, Inc. (2010)
- M&A Advisor: ILFR and Sector Deal of the Year Award for Financial Services for work performed in CIT Group, Inc. (2010)
- Turnarounds & Workouts – Special Report: Outstanding Restructuring Lawyers (2009 and 2011)