Jonathan P. Gill
Jon Gill’s corporate practice focuses on investment funds making debt and equity investments in public and private companies, often in distressed and special situations. He provides clients with corporate, securities and bankruptcy law advice on all aspects of their transactions, from pre- commitment to execution and ultimate exit. His work includes representation of creditor groups in in-court and out-of-court reorganizations, plan fundings, and rescue and debtor-in-possession financings.
Jon advises public and private clients on corporate securities matters, debt and equity tender offers, confidentiality concerns, rights offerings, and shareholder and inter-creditor agreements. Since 2017, Jon has been an adjunct professor at New York University School of Law teaching a course on special situations.
- Represented Elliott Management Corporation in respect of its investments in EFH/EFIH (TXU) and its consortium bid for the majority interest in Oncor, the Dallas-area regulated electric utility.
- Represented Elliott Management Corporation in connection with a $2.5bn preferred equity PIPE to First Energy Corporation, a NYSE listed public utility.
- Represented a leading family office in connection with its investments in Autism Learning Partners, Community Based Care, Legacy Sports, Inc. and PM Pediatrics.
- Represented Bain Capital Credit in relation to its structured investments in Gamblit Gaming, LLC.
- Represented Flight Centre Travel Group Limited in various acquisitions of travel-related providers in North America, including Liberty Travel, Inc.
- Represented Blackstone Tactical Opportunities Advisors in its preferred equity investment in Natural Resource Partners, L.P., a NYSE-listed MLP.
- Represented Goldman, Sachs & Co. in a number of structured equity investments in the telecommunications, data center and real estate industries.
- Represented Gawker Media in its s363 auction process and sale to Univision.
- Represented Thunderbird Resources Equity, Inc. in its $250m acquisition of a minority interest in a regasification facility in Mississippi.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in respect of an energy industry portfolio company’s response to an involuntary chapter 7 petition and the successful chapter 11 reorganization of the portfolio company.
- Represented American Media in the sale of several nationally recognized magazine titles.
- Represented a hedge fund complex in respect of its debt and equity backstops of certain public company m&a transactions.
- Represented MatlinPatterson in connection with its $1.35bn bid to acquire the operating assets of a bankrupt owner and operator of power plants in the Boston area.
- Represented a publicly held savings bank in the disposition of an approximately $1.4bn commercial loan portfolio.
- Represented Angelo, Gordon in formation of a joint venture with another sophisticated investor for the acquisition of non-performing and re- performing mortgage pools.
- Represented Highland Capital in the disposition of its debt and equity investments in a NJ-based paper manufacturer.
- Represented investment funds constituting a majority of the senior secured lenders to a Vanadium mine and related processing operation in Western Australia.
- Represented the majority holders of a company engaging in the acquisition, development, and production of oil and gas in Kazakhstan, in its $290m Senior Secured Notes due in 2010 in connection with various restructuring efforts and the eventual sale of its operating assets pursuant to a plan of reorganization.
- Represented a private equity firm as a stalking horse bidder for the assets of one of the world's leading producers of titanium dioxide.
- Represented a private equity firm as a prepetition lender, DIP provider and plan sponsor of Chapter 11 cases to a manufacturer of aluminum products.
- Represented a private equity firm in its acquisition of a controlling equity interest in an Israeli dehumidification technology concern.
- Represented a consortium of significant private investment funds in an approximately $2bn bid to acquire the assets of a private company engaging in mining, smelting, and refining copper as a result of the company's Chapter 11 cases.
- LLM, Columbia University School of Law, 1998; James Kent Scholar
- LLB (Hons), Adelaide University, 1995
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- IFLR1000 (2019-2020)
- Legal 500 (2014)