Jonathan P. Gill
Jon Gill’s corporate practice focuses on investment funds making debt and equity investments in public and private companies, often in distressed and special situations. He provides clients with corporate, securities and bankruptcy law advice on all aspects of their transactions, from pre- commitment to execution and ultimate exit. His work includes representation of creditor groups in in-court and out-of-court reorganizations, plan fundings, and rescue and debtor-in-possession financings.
Jon advises public and private clients on corporate securities matters, debt and equity tender offers, confidentiality concerns, rights offerings, and shareholder and inter-creditor agreements. Since 2017, Jon has been an adjunct professor at New York University School of Law teaching a course on special situations.
- Represented Blackstone Tactical Opportunities Advisors in its preferred equity investment in Natural Resource Partners, L.P., a NYSE-listed MLP.
- Represented Goldman, Sachs & Co. in a number of structured equity investments in the telecommunications, data center and real estate industries.
- Represented funds advised by Scopia Capital Management in various private equity investments in autism services, pediatric care, and home-based care industries.
- Represented Gawker Media in its s363 auction process and sale to Univision.
- Represented Thunderbird Resources Equity, Inc. in its $250m acquisition of a minority interest in a regasification facility in Mississippi.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in respect of an energy industry portfolio company’s response to an involuntary chapter 7 petition and the successful chapter 11 reorganization of the portfolio company.
- Represented American Media in the sale of several nationally recognized magazine titles.
- Represented a hedge fund complex in respect of its debt and equity backstops of certain public company m&a transactions.
- Represented MatlinPatterson in connection with its $1.35bn bid to acquire the operating assets of a bankrupt owner and operator of power plants in the Boston area.
- Represented a publicly held savings bank in the disposition of an approximately $1.4bn commercial loan portfolio.
- Represented Angelo, Gordon in formation of a joint venture with another sophisticated investor for the acquisition of non-performing and re- performing mortgage pools.
- Represented Highland Capital in the disposition of its debt and equity investments in a NJ-based paper manufacturer.
- Represented investment funds constituting a majority of the senior secured lenders to a Vanadium mine and related processing operation in Western Australia.
- Represented the majority holders of a company engaging in the acquisition, development, and production of oil and gas in Kazakhstan, in its $290m Senior Secured Notes due in 2010 in connection with various restructuring efforts and the eventual sale of its operating assets pursuant to a plan of reorganization.
- Represented a private equity firm as a potential stalking horse bidder for the assets of one of the world's leading producers of titanium dioxide.
- Represented a multi-national retail and corporate travel agency operator in its approximately $135m purchase of a north-east based travel services provider, and related roll ups of various similar providers.
- Represented a private equity firm as a prepetition lender, DIP provider and plan sponsor of Chapter 11 cases to a manufacturer of aluminum products.
- Represented a private equity firm in its acquisition of a controlling equity interest in an Israeli dehumidification technology concern.
- Represented a consortium of significant private investment funds in an approximately $2bn bid to acquire the assets of a private company engaging in mining, smelting, and refining copper as a result of the company's Chapter 11 cases.