Kia Grant-Smith is an associate in the litigation and enforcement group. Kia’s practice focuses on white collar defense, including whistleblower complaints, criminal and civil litigation, internal investigations, and government-initiated enforcement actions. She has extensive experience representing multinational corporations and executives in matters involving potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, False Claims Act, Anti-Kickback Statute, Federal Food Drug and Cosmetic Act, federal and state health care fraud statutes, securities fraud statutes, and unfair competition laws. She also conducts anti-bribery and anti-money laundering due diligence on behalf of private equity clients.
Kia’s experience expands across markets and includes clients in the pharmaceutical, health care, retail, oil and gas, technology, and financial services industries.
Kia maintains an active pro bono practice, successfully obtaining a grant of political asylum on behalf of numerous clients from Cameroon and Ethiopia. She also had a tort case dismissed with prejudice in state court.
- Regularly represents multinational companies in cross-border investigations into alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and UK Bribery Act in Asia, Europe, and South America.
- Represents pharmaceutical manufacturers in connection with investigations and litigation under the False Claims Act, Federal Food Drug & Cosmetic Act, and state consumer protection laws.
- Conducts proactive FCPA risk assessments on behalf of multinational pharmaceutical and oil & gas companies operating in high risk markets, resulting in the development and implementation of enhanced compliance programs and internal controls.
- Reviews and evaluates anti-bribery and anti-corruption compliance programs and sufficiency of internal controls.
- Advises pharmaceutical clients on legal risks under the False Claims Act for off-label promotion of prescription drugs.
- Leads internal investigations into allegations of bribery, fraud, and kick-backs, providing clients with robust and actionable remediation recommendations.
- Performs pre-acquisition anti-bribery and anti-money laundering due diligence on behalf of private equity clients.
- Represents executives facing investigations by the Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission for alleged FCPA and securities fraud violations.
- Represented an FDA-regulated medical device manufacturer in a false advertising lawsuit brought against an unregulated competitor.
- Analyzed most-favored-nation clauses in contracts on behalf of a telecommunications provider in connection with an antitrust matter.
- Co-author, “To Certify or Not to Certify: Considerations for Whether to Certify Compliance With the Anti-Bribery Standard ISO 37001” The FCPA Report (March 15, 2017)
- Contributor, “Taming the ‘Wild West’: Enforcement Trends and Reimbursement Issues Facing Independent Clinical Laboratories,” Bloomberg BNA Health Law Reporter (April 14, 2016)
- “Lawyers Making a Difference: Kia Grant,” Human Rights First Blog (October 2014)
- Contributor, ABA Health Care and Pharmaceutical Committee, Recent Developments (February 2013, June 2013, February 2014)
- JD, with Honors, The George Washington University Law School, 2011; George Washington International Law Review; Presidential Merit Scholarship
- BA (Spanish and Communication), magna cum laude; with Honors, The Ohio State University, 2007; University Honors Program