Michael J. Gilbert
As counsel in the corporate department, Mike's practice focuses on structuring and negotiating mergers and acquisitions, direct investments and bespoke transactions for corporate and private equity clients, as well as advising investor clients in connection with joint ventures, co-investments and other investments in minority or non-controlling positions. Mike also represents asset managers in connection with strategic transactions including acquisitions, divestitures, minority investments and recapitalizations involving other investment managers or financial investors. The clients Mike represents invest in a wide range of markets and industries, including financial services and fintech, consumer products, retail brands, manufacturing, and energy.
In addition to his transactional work, Mike frequently represents permanent legal residents seeking to naturalize as U.S. citizens through pro bono partnership with Project Citizenship, a Boston-based service group. Mike also advocates for pro bono clients through Ropes & Gray’s name change project, a collaboration with legal advocacy group GLAD that matches attorneys with transgender clients seeking assistance with the legal name change and gender marker process.
- Represented Audax Group in multiple divestitures and acquisitions, recently including a premier healthcare company, a national dental practice management company and a major provider of security services.
- Represented a Southeast Asian sovereign investor in connection with multiple minority direct and indirect investments and the related consortium negotiations.
- Represented Bain Capital, as controlling consortium member, in connection with the acquisition of Toshiba Memory for $32 billion in equity and other financing.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its $2 billion transaction to acquire and combine Lightower Fiber Networks and Sidera Networks.
- Represented one of the world’s largest asset managers in numerous co-investment transactions across industries, both domestically and internationally.
- Represented one of the world’s largest asset managers and financial services companies in multiple strategic joint ventures, minority investments, co-investments and divestitures.
- Represented HarbourVest Partners in numerous co-investment transactions, venture capital investments, and other minority investments.
- Represented Johnson & Johnson in various consumer, pharmaceutical and medical device acquisitions and divestures, including the purchase of Aragon Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for $650 million upfront and up to $450 million in contingent payments.
- Represented Natixis Global Asset Management in connection with its investment in WCM Asset Management, as well as multiple acquisitions and divestures of affiliated asset management companies.
- JD, Columbia University School of Law, 2007; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar; Managing Editor, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law
- BA (Biology), cum laude, Harvard University, 2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2007
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2015