Ruth Gao joined Ropes & Gray in 2015 as an associate in the private investment funds group. Ruth’s practice focuses on the formation, offering and operation of private equity funds, venture capital funds, funds of funds and separately managed accounts. Ruth also represents U.S. and international institutional investors, sovereign wealth funds, funds of funds, endowments and charitable foundations in connection with their investments in U.S., European, Asian and Latin American fund investments, including AlpInvest Partners, China Investment Corporation, Hamilton Lane and Temasek Holdings.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Ruth practiced in the Beijing office of an international law firm. She represented various U.S. and Asia-based clients in connection with minority investment and buy-out transactions, and represented several issuers and underwriters in their U.S. and Hong Kong IPOs and related ongoing compliance matters.
- Represented a China-focused private equity sponsor in its international offering of a multi-billion dollar private equity fund.
- Represented a Philadelphia-based financial institution in its domestic and international offerings of several multi-million dollar funds, spanning equity, secondaries, co-investment and credit strategies.
- Represented a Palo Alto-based financial institution in the launch of a credit fund platform, spanning both junior and senior lending products.
- Represented a New York-based financial institution in its domestic and international offering of a $1.5 billion co-investment fund.
- Represented various large state-owned investment clients in connection with primary investments in U.S. and internationally-based private equity funds.
- Represented an investment fund sponsor in the fundraising and negotiating of several separately managed accounts with domestic and international investors.
- Represented a mid-market technology-focused private equity firm in raising its initial pooled investment fund.