Zachary D. Goodwin
Zak joined Ropes & Gray’s litigation and enforcement practice in 2018. Zak focuses on representing clients with respect to antitrust issues in government investigations and litigation.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Zak was a Trial Attorney in the Technology and Financial Services Section of the U.S. Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division. At the Antitrust Division, he participated in substantial merger and conduct investigations in a variety of industries, including software, semiconductor manufacturing, and mobile devices. He was also a member of the team that successfully litigated to enjoin Anthem, Inc.’s proposed acquisition of Cigna Corporation. Zak joined the Antitrust Division through the Attorney General’s Honors Program.
Before his time at the Antitrust Division, Zak served as a law clerk for the Honorable Janet C. Hall of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut. During law school, he served as a legal intern for the Honorable Michael P. Shea of the United States District Court for the District of Connecticut.
Notable transactions in which Zachary has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Participated on the Antitrust Division’s team that successfully litigated to enjoin Anthem Inc.’s proposed acquisition of Cigna Corporation, the then-largest health insurance acquisition ever.
- Investigated the proposed merger between Lam Research Corp., a leading supplier of semiconductor fabrication equipment, and KLA-Tencor, a leading supplier of metrology and inspection tools. The parties abandoned their merger after being informed of the Antitrust Division’s serious competitive concerns.
- Investigated Iron Mountain, Inc.’s acquisition of Recall Holdings Limited, which resulted in a civil complaint and settlement requiring divestiture of records management assets in 15 metropolitan areas.
- JD, magna cum laude, University of Connecticut School of Law, 2014; Member, Connecticut Law Review
- BA (Philosophy and Economics), magna cum laude, University of Connecticut, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2019
- Massachusetts, 2014