Richard Hanson is counsel in London and is a member of the firm’s real estate investments and transactions group. Rick has broad structured finance, derivatives and banking related experience, advising investment funds and asset managers targeting real estate and alternative debt investments. In particular Rick has experience in real estate financing and other structured finance products, including securitisation, derivatives and performing and non-performing loan portfolio sales.
Rick has advised on a number of commercial mortgage backed securitisations, including the first ever English law rental income securitisation in Spain, NPL acquisitions financed using securitisation technology, and on various ‘loan-on-loan’ structures for fund clients seeking to add leverage to their European commercial real estate loan portfolios.
Rick was seconded to PIMCO in 2017 where he supported the alternatives business, focusing on a variety of structured commercial real estate finance transactions, warehouse lending and public and private distressed credit opportunities.
- Acting for a U.S. private equity firm on a Spanish NPL acquisition financed with by a Euro 72 million private securitisation.
- Acting for Blackstone Mortgage Trust on a €400 million ‘loan-on-loan’ warehouse facility with Société Générale.
- Acting for a U.S. hedge fund in connection with a €150 million private securitisation of its European loan portfolio.
- Acting for Uro Property Holdings SOCIMI, S.A. in connection with a €1.345 billion tenant credit-linked secured loan securitisation of its rental cashflows related to leases of Spanish bank branches leased to Santander.
- Acting for Cerberus European Investments, LLC as bidder on a number of non-performing loan portfolios from major UK and Irish banks, including several successful acquisitions and the related acquisition financing.
- Acting for Deutsche Bank as seller of the commercial real estate loan portfolio and operating platform of Postbank, London Branch.
- Acting for a major UK bank as standby/back-to-back swap provider on various covered bond programmes, master trust and RMBS securitisations.
- Acting for the Peel Ports Group on the swap restructuring aspects of its multi-source whole business securitisation refinancing, involving an amendment and novation process involving 11 swap banks.
- Acting for 2 major UK banks in the restructuring of an ABCP conduit securitisation of residential and commercial mortgage loans involving the issuance of variable funding notes.
- Acting for the index-linked swap provider to Barchester Healthcare in connection with the sale and lease-back of a property portfolio and refinancing of £900 million of bank debt secured on the portfolio.
- Acting for the bond arrangers and bank lenders in connection with a stapled financing package for the purchase by a consortium of private equity investors in the Eversholt Rail train leasing business, including an accelerated structured bond offering.
- Acting for the Lehman group and PwC as administrator in respect of the restructuring and winding-up of various RMBS, master trust and CMBS securitisations during the credit crisis.
- Acting for a global industrial real estate investment trust as borrower on various pan-European secured real estate loan financings.
- Author, “Securitisation - the silver bullet for the non-performing loan market?,” Ropes & Gray Alert (13 December 2016)
- Author, “Non-performing loans and securitisation in Europe,” Ropes & Gray Alert (April 2016)
- Co-author, “Capital Markets Union - Part 2 - Two Options For a Pan-European Covered Bond Framework,” Ropes & Gray Alert (3 November 2015 )
- Co-author, “Capital Markets Union - Part 3 – Proposed Elements of a New EU Covered Bond-Framework,” Ropes & Gray Alert (13 November 2015)
- Co-author, “The Action Plan for a Capital Markets Union - Part 1 - Aims Priorities and Measures,” (October 2015)
- Co-author, “The Draft EU Securitisation Regulation of 30 September 2015,” Ropes & Gray Alert (1 October 2015)
- Co-author, “Shadow Banking Guidelines Part 1 – an overview,” Ropes & Gray Alert (1 September 2015)
- Co-author, “Shadow Banking Guidelines Part 2 – What is a Shadow Banking Entity,” Ropes & Gray Alert (8 September 2015)
- Co-author, “Shadow Banking Guidelines Part 3 - The-Rationale and context behind the Guidelines,” Ropes & Gray Alert (15 September 2015)
- Co-author, “Shadow Banking Guidelines Part 4 – The impact of the Guidelines,” Ropes & Gray Alert (22 September 2015)