Ian is an antitrust associate in the firm’s London office. Ian advises on all aspects of EU and UK competition law, including investigations by the European Commission, the UK Competition and Markets Authority, and the UK Financial Conduct Authority,
Ian has a particular focus on complex merger control issues, having advised clients on multiple phase II investigations of the European Commission. Ian has significant experience advising clients on dominance and monopolization issues, as well the interplay between intellectual property law and antitrust.
Ian also advises on foreign investment regulations and international trade law (particularly with regard to the implications of Brexit).
The Legal 500 has recognized Ian as a “Rising Star” for EU and Competition for two years in a row (2020 and 2021).
- Advised Charlesbank Capital Partners on its Investment in Aptean.
- Advised Western Digital on its USD 19 billion acquisition of SanDisk.
- Advised Biomet on its USD 14 billion acquisition by Zimmer.
- Advised BHP Billiton in connection with various aspects of the demerger of its non-core assets to a new global diversified metals and mining company South32.
- Advised a major publisher in respect of the European Commission’s investigation into Amazon’s practices in the e-book market.
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLM, The University of Chicago Law School, 2011; under Fulbright Scholarship awarded by Irish Fulbright Commission in 2010
- BCL, University College Dublin, 2010
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2012
- State of New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division Third Judicial Department, 2012
- The Legal 500 - “Rising Star” for EU and Competition UK (2020 and 2021)