Julienne M. Hearn
Julienne Hearn advises a wide range of public and private companies, institutions and investors in connection with a variety of strategic commercial matters, including licensing, product development collaborations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, supply arrangements, distribution and co-promotion agreements. She has a particular focus on representing clients in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries in strategic licensing and collaboration arrangements, and has experience negotiating, coordinating and documenting drug discovery, product and platform deals. In addition, Julienne represents clients in the high tech industry, consumer products, asset management, private equity, venture capital, the arts and non-profits in connection with transactions in which intellectual property is a key consideration.
- Represented a large global pharmaceutical company in its worldwide license from a multinational research-based biopharmaceutical company of an IL-23 antibody being developed for Crohn’s disease that may also be developed for other GI indications. The deal includes a $250 million upfront payment, development and sales based milestones of $1.27 billion and tiered royalties on net sales.
- Represented a leading genomics research institute in connection with a license to a leader in the field of neoantigen-targeted therapies for technology relating to personalized neoantigen vaccines.
- Represented the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in the acquisition a portion of LifeArc’s royalty interests on worldwide sales of Keytruda®* (pembrolizumab) for approximately US$1.3 billion.
- Represented LA BioMED and UCLA in its sale of a portion of its royalty interest in Kybella.
- Represented a large biotech company in a broad-based research collaboration and commercialization agreement with a university in the gene therapy and gene editing fields.
- Represented Janssen R&D Ireland in connection with the renegotiation and amendment of two complex collaboration agreements with Gilead Sciences, Inc. related to the development and commercialization of certain single-tablet regimens for the treatment of HIV.
- Represented Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc., through Johnson & Johnson Innovation, in connection with a collaboration and license agreement with Ichor Medical Systems, Inc., for the development of drug-device combination products incorporating Ichor’s electroporation technology for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation in connection with a collaboration agreement and $700 million equity investment in Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc. pursuant to which Genzyme obtained license rights to two existing rare disease siRNA drug candidates and options to obtain regional or global rights in certain other siRNA drug candidates developed by Alnylam for rare diseases.
- Represented Swipely, Inc., a venture-backed company, in its $20 million Series C financing and continues to represent the company in ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Represented an advertising agency on corporate and commercial matters, including legal review and clearance of advertising material.
- Represented various clients in the review and negotiation of confidentiality agreements as a member of firm’s confidentiality agreement review team.
- Co-author, “Right of Publicity Laws: Massachusetts,” Practical Law Company (June 2014)
- Editing Committee, Introduction to Advocacy: Research, Writing and Argument, 8th Ed., Foundation Press (June 2013)