Annie Herdman is an antitrust partner based in the firm’s London office. Annie’s practice covers all aspects of EU and UK competition law, representing clients before the European Commission, UK Competition and Markets Authority and global antitrust regulators. She advises a wide range of corporate, sovereign wealth, and private equity clients on EU, UK and multi-jurisdictional merger control and foreign investment strategy and filings. Annie also advises clients on EU and UK cartel investigations, and a broad range of antitrust compliance issues.
Annie has been recognised by The Legal 500 as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ and a ‘Rising Star’ and Who’s Who Legal as a 'Thought Leader' (2023) and 'Global Leader' (2022 and 2021), where she was noted as one of only four UK practitioners for her great ‘capacity to quickly understand the client’s business and form credible views’. Additionally, Annie was featured in Management Today’s 35 Women Under 35, which celebrates the top 35 female business talent in the UK under the age of 35. She was also listed as a “Rising Star” in the annual Expert Guides which recognises the world’s leading lawyers. Annie is Co-Chair of the ICC’s Merger Control Task Force.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Annie was an antitrust partner at another leading global law firm.
- Acting for TPG in connection with its:
- $2 billion sale of Immucor to Werfen.
- Kaseya’s $6.2 billion acquisition of Datto; and
- its $4 billion joint acquisition of Covetrus.
- Acting for Bain Capital in connection with its:
- US$1.4 billion acquisition of Mash Holdings.
- its €955.3 million acquisition of Caverion Corporation; and
- its investment in Enterprise DB.
- Acting for Bain Capital Tech Opportunities in its US$150 million minority investment in Ataccama.
- Advised Bain Capital Special Solutions in its co-investment in the advanced materials business of Hanwha Solutions, alongside Glenwood Credit.
- Acting for BDT & Co in connection with its merger with MSD Partners LP.
- Acting for HUTCHMED in connection with a worldwide license agreement with Takeda Pharmaceutical for up to $1.13 billion.
- Acting for TSG in connection with:
- its acquisition of a majority stake in Radiance Holdings; and
- its acquisition of Cadogan Tate.
- Acting for Silver Lake in connection with its $1.46 billion sale of ServiceMax to PTC.
- Acting for Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of a majority stake in AHEAD, a provider of enterprise cloud services, from Centerbridge Partners.
- Acting for Two Sigma in connection with its investment in Milestone Technologies.
- Acting for Cinven in its $720 million acquisition of TaxAct.
- Acting for Genstar Capital and Advarra in connection with the sale of a majority stake in Advarra to Blackstone and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB).
- Acting for GHO and Vistria in connection with their acquisition of Alcami.
- Acting for 3i Group plc in connection with its investment in Digital Barriers.
- Acting for HIG Capital in connection with its $950 million acquisition of Avient Corp’s Distribution Unit.
- Acting for GI Partners in its acquisition of Atlas Technical Consultants for $1.05 Billion
Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Bain Capital and Hellman & Friedman on their $17 billion acquisition of athenahealth.
- KKR on its joint $15 billion acquisition of CyrusOne Inc., a premier global data centre REIT.
- Blackstone on its $1 billion partnership with Hipgnosis Song Management.
- Blackstone on the acquisition of a majority stake in VFS Global, a global leader in visa outsourcing services.
- Bain Capital on its €1.7 billion acquisition of ITP Aero, an aero engine and gas turbine manufacturer from Rolls-Royce.
- Bain Capital on its investment in Berlin Brands Group, a global e-commerce company.
- Apex on the €1.51 billion acquisition of Sanne Group plc.
- GIC on its agreement to acquire an aggregate shareholding in Belron, the world’s leading vehicle glass repair and replacement group.
- Genstar Capital and its portfolio company 2020 Technologies on the agreement to merge 2020 with Compusoft, creating a leading provider of space planning solutions.
- Hg and Vista Equity Partners on the sale of Allocate, a leading workforce and people management software-as-a-service provider, to RLDatix.
- Bain Capital and its consortium partners on the €2.1 billion proposed public takeover of Ahlstrom-Munksjö Oyj.
- The bidding consortium led by Advent, Cinven and the RAG-Stiftung on the $18.7 billion acquisition of the elevator division of thyssenkrupp AG, the largest European buyout transaction to date.
- Vitruvian Partners on the sale of Unifaun, a cloud delivery orchestration platform serving the European logistics ecosystem, to Marlin Equity Partners.
- Warburg Pincus on its minority investment in Visma, a leading provider of business-critical software in a transaction valuing the business at an enterprise value of $12.2 billion.
- Triton Partners on the agreement to sell Polygon Holding AB to funds managed by AEA Investors LP.
- KPS Capital Partners on the $550 million acquisition of Briggs & Stratton Corporation.
- Warburg Pincus on its co-investment in the combined group of Tilney Smith & Williamson.
- GIC on the over $1 billion co-investment with Equinix to develop and operate xScale™ data centres in Japan.
- TDR Capital and its portfolio company, Stonegate Pub Company, on the £1.27 billion recommended cash offer for Ei Group (requiring UK commitments).
- Bain Capital and Cinven on their €5.3 billion joint public takeover offer for the German pharmaceutical company Stada Arzneimittel AG; to date the largest transaction of its kind in Germany.
- Bain Capital on its $3.2 billion acquisition of Diversey (the food hygiene and cleaning division of Sealed Air Corporation).
- Delphi Technologies PLC on its $3.3 billion sale to BorgWarner Inc.
- Duff & Phelps on its $4.2 billion agreement to be acquired by a global investor consortium led by Stone Point Capital and Further Global.
- GIC on the €950 million buyout acquisition of a pan-European logistics platform from Apollo.
- Thoma Bravo on the £3.1 billion recommended cash offer for Sophos, a global leader in next-generation cybersecurity solutions.
- Infineon Technologies AG on its $10 billion acquisition of Cypress Semiconductor Corporation.
- Tenneco Inc. on its $5.25 billion acquisition of Federal-Mogul LLC.
- The Boeing Company on its $4.25 billion acquisition of KLX.
- American Securities LLC on its acquisition of Prince International Corporation, a manufacturer of mineral-based specialty additives.
- Creat Group Corporation on its acquisition of Biotest AG; securing unconditional UK clearance.
- Crestview Partners in connection with the acquisition by Accuride Corporation of mefro wheels; conditional EU Phase I clearance.
- Tronox in connection with its $2.2 billion acquisition of Cristal’s titanium dioxide business.
- A global science and technology innovator on its $13.8 billion acquisition of a global provider of filtration, separation and purification systems.
- Infineon Technologies AG on its $3 billion acquisition of International Rectifier Corporation.
- A global science and technology innovator on its $2.2 billion acquisition of a leading innovator of implant-based dental restorations.
- Solera Holdings, Inc. on its $463.8 million acquisition of CAP Automotive Limited.
- Intel Corporation’s acquisition of Lantiq.
- Bain Capital on its acquisition of Bugaboo, a Dutch design company that develops and produces mobility products.
- Bain Capital on the acquisition of MSX International.
- Thoma Bravo LLC on its $3 billion acquisition of Qlik Technologies Inc.
- Bain Capital and Vista on their $2.7 billion joint acquisition of Vertafore.
- Vista on its $1.65 billion acquisition of Cvent, Inc.
- Thoma Bravo on its $4.5 billion joint acquisition of Solarwinds.
Litigation & Counseling:
- An automotive parts manufacturer on an international cartel investigation in the automotive exhaust system industry.
- International firms on potential breaches of Article 101 TFEU in the medical device and automotive sectors.
- Clients in the automotive parts and shipping industries in relation to investigations by the European Commission into possible breaches of Article 101 TFEU.
- Numerous companies on antitrust aspects of proposed information exchanges.
- Devising and delivering training, and advising on antitrust/competition compliance for numerous sophisticated corporate clients across Europe.
- Quoted, “U.K. Imposes Remedies on Chinese Investment in Aerospace Company,” Global Competition Review (October 12, 2022)
- Quoted, “CMA’s false-positive virus check,” Financial Times (August 4, 2022)
- Quoted, “Euro Movers: Annie Herdman, Ropes & Gray,” The Deal (May 13, 2022)
- Mentioned, “Revolving Doors: OC Opens in Warsaw With Local Hires as US Players Ramp Up in the City,” Legal Business (March 2, 2022)
- Presenter, “10 Key European Regulatory Updates,” Private Funds Regulatory Conference Virtual Event Series (October 13, 2022)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
Ropes & Gray (Ireland) LLP is authorized as a limited liability partnership by the Legal Services Regulatory Authority under the Legal Services Regulation Act 2015 (Registration number: 1262568).
- Postgraduate Diploma in EU Competition Law, King's College, 2014
- Legal Practice Course, Distinction, College of Law, Moorgate, 2010
- LLB (Law), First Class Honours, University of Exeter, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- Brussels (B List), 2019
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2013
- Ireland, Solicitor, 2017
- The Legal 500, Next Generation Partner (2021)
- Who's Who Legal, Competition Thought Leader (2023)
- Who’s Who Legal, Competition Leader (2021 and 2022)
- Who’s Who Legal, Competition Future Leader (2020)
- The Legal 500, Rising Star (2020)
- Who’s Who Legal, Future Leader (2020)
- Management Today, 35 Women Under 35 (2020)
- Expert Guides, Rising Star (2021)