Brendan C. Hanifin
Brendan Hanifin is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s Chicago office. Brendan advises clients on international risk compliance matters as well as clinical research-related issues. Brendan has experience representing clients in the energy, health care, and transportation and logistics industries in internal and government investigations of potential violations of anti-corruption laws, economic sanctions, export control laws, customs regulations, and anti-boycott laws. Brendan regularly advises private equity sponsors, investment advisers, and multinational companies on international risk issues related to various transactions and investments. Brendan also advises clients on issues related to the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States review process.
Brendan has assisted clients across a broad range of industries to develop or enhance their compliance programs, and he writes frequently on economic sanctions, anti-corruption, and other international risk topics. Brendan’s pro bono practice has included the successful representation of numerous clients with criminal records in post-conviction relief proceedings in federal and state court, as well as administrative hearings.
- Represented an international transport and customs brokerage company in investigations of potential violations of economic sanctions involving subsidiaries in Asia, North America, Europe, and the Middle East; prepared multiple submissions to OFAC.
- Represented a multinational energy company in investigation of potential violations of the EAR.
- Represented a U.S.-based company in investigation of possible violations of import and export control laws and anti-boycott restrictions involving conduct across multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented a U.S.-based energy company in investigation of possible violations of U.S. anti-boycott laws.
- Represented a customs brokerage company in major CBP enforcement action related to purported violations of U.S. customs regulations.
- Represented a medical device company in a wide-ranging DOJ and SEC corruption investigation involving countries across Europe, Asia, and Latin America.
- Represented multiple U.S.-based companies in corruption investigations involving conduct in Brazil and Mexico.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in internal investigations related to investigator-initiated research studies, adverse event reporting practices, and other pharmacovigilance activities in Japan.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in multiple investigations involving research misconduct issues and prepared communications to professional journals and external researchers regarding retractions.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in government inquiry into compliance with clinical trial registration and results reporting requirements.
- Assisted companies to develop procedures for conducting business in Iran in compliance with OFAC’s General License H.
- Represented an oil and gas company in global trade compliance diagnostic review; assisted company to enhance controls related to compliance with import and export control laws, economic sanctions, and anti-boycott laws.
- Represented a publicly-traded energy company in diagnostic review of anti-corruption and economic sanctions controls.
- Represented industrial equipment manufacturer in global risk assessment related to anti-corruption and international trade issues; assisted company to update and improve its trade compliance policy and procedures.
- Represented a pharmaceutical manufacturer in separate proactive reviews of clinical trial budgeting and payment practices in China and Japan.
- Co-author, “US sanctions and export controls: What every healthcare and life sciences compliance officer needs to know,” WorldECR (September 2018)
- Co-author, “Mid-2018 Sanctions Review: A Turbulent Year So Far,” Law360 (June 2018)
- Co-author, “Cryptocurrency Brings Rising International Risks,” Law360 (May 2018)
- Co-author, “How Iran Deal Pullout Will Impact Cos. And Investors,” Law360 (May 2018)
- Co-author, “A Review Of US Economic Sanctions In 2017,” Law360 (December 2017)
- Co-author, “New Burma Act Would Hinder US Investment In Myanmar,” Law360 (December 2017)
- Co-author, “New Cuba Sanctions Signal Increased Commercial Challenges,” Law 360 (November 2017)
- Quoted, “The Morning Risk Report: Trump’s Iran Moves Change Little For Companies,” The Wall Street Journal (October 16, 2017)
- Co-author, “Revoking Sudan Sanctions Brings New Prospects, Old Risks,” Law360 (October 2017)
- Co-author, “What You Need To Know About North Korea Executive Order,” Law360 (September 2017)
- Co-author, “CFIUS Continues To Present Obstacle To Chinese Acquisitions,” Law360 (September 2017)
- Co-author, “OFAC’s Streak Continues: Takeaways from the TransTel Sanctions Settlement,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (August 2017)
- Co-author, “OFAC Continues To Pursue Oil And Gas Companies,” Law360 (July 2017)
- Co-author, “A Midyear Review Of US Economic Sanctions Efforts,” Law360 (June 2017)
- Co-author, “Sanctions And Export Control Risks For Health Care Cos.,” Law360 (May 2017)
- Co-author, “Managing Corruption Risk In Cash-Centric Economies,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (April 2017)
- Co-author, “Export Control Enforcement In The Wake Of The ZTE Resolution,” Law360 (March 2017)
- Co-author, “Developments in US economic sanctions: 2016 in review,” Global Investigations Review (January 2017)
- Co-author, “Important Takeaways From the National Oilwell Varco Inc. Settlement,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (January 2017)
- Co-author, “Forecasting International Risk Climate Under President Trump,” Law360 (November 2016)
- Co-author, “Navigating Anticorruption in Latin America,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report (July 2016)
- Co-author, “Corruption Risks in International Clinical Trials: Navigating Between Anti-Bribery Laws and Local Circumstances,” Bloomberg BNA Medical Research Law & Policy Report (January 2016)
- Co-author, “Personal Security Affects Anti-Corruption Compliance,” Law360 (September 2015)
- Presenter, “International Risks Posed By Digital Currencies,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (April 2018)
- Presenter, “International Risk Developments for Oil & Gas Companies,” Bloomberg BNA (February 2017)