Charles P. Humphreville
Charlie is an associate in the asset management group. He advises hedge funds (both domestic and offshore) on all aspects of their business, with a focus on fund formation, management company structures, trading issues, and regulatory compliance. Charlie also advises U.S. and non-U.S. investment managers regarding the U.S. investment adviser regulatory regime and counsels advisers on various issues involved with their registration with the SEC as an investment adviser. Charlie assists advisers with adopting and administering compliance policies and procedures.
In addition, Charlie regularly advises clients on and negotiates contractual arrangements, such as trading agreements and other transactional documents, employment and consulting agreements, service provider agreements, and side letters with investors.
Charlie also represents a large seed investor platform in designing, implementing, and fundraising for the platform and in negotiating seed investment and revenue sharing arrangements with third party hedge fund managers. He also advises a preeminent U.S. investment adviser on the ongoing operation of a platform of single-investor funds established for large institutional investors with specific investment objectives.
- Advises fund sponsors regarding the formation of investment funds, including implementation of complex compensation arrangements.
- Advises established seed fund platform in negotiating revenue sharing arrangements with third party hedge fund managers.
- Regularly advises “buy side” clients on the negotiation of ISDA master agreements, triparty agreements for collateral posted under ISDA master agreements, securities lending arrangements, Master Repurchase Agreements, Global Master Repurchase Agreements, tri-party custodial undertakings, prime brokerage arrangements, term commitments and securities lending arrangements.
- Advises an investment adviser’s quantitative trading group on employment and consulting agreements for trading systems developers, including on provisions governing the ownership and licensing of intellectual property.
- Advises investment advisers on registration under the Advisers Act.
- Assists both registered and exempt investment advisers with developing and administering compliance policies.
- Advises investment adviser clients regarding completing and filing various required filings.
- JD, magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 2007; Order of the Coif
- BA (Industrial Design), with Honors, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2002