Christopher Han is counsel in the intellectual property transactions group. Chris advises clients in IP and technology issues related to strategic transactions, including mergers & acquisitions, technology licensing and transfer, R&D collaborations, joint ventures, supply agreements, and other strategic relationships. Chris has experience advising both public and private companies in many different industries, including computer science, computer networks and data security, Internet and media applications, energy storage, medical devices, biotechnology, pharmaceutical, aerospace, and the automotive industry.
In addition to his transactional practice, Chris also provides clients with strategic advice regarding the creation and management of intellectual property assets. Chris is a registered patent attorney with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and has extensive experience assisting clients with prosecuting patent applications, managing patent portfolios, developing IP strategies, and performing patent validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate analyses for a wide range of technologies.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Christopher received his B.S. and S.M. degrees in Aero/Astronautical Engineering from MIT. Chris performed his graduate work at Draper Laboratory, where he developed real-time software and embedded systems for controlling a prototype vehicle for planetary exploration.
- Co-author, “Supreme Court Affirms Secret Sales Are Still Prior Art, Can Bar Patenting,” IP Litigator (March/April 2019)
- Speaker, “Key IP Issues for Patent License and Commercialization Agreement,” 2020 Korea IP Summer Forum (August 27, 2020)
- Speaker, “Is the America Invents Act Weakening Licensing,” Managing Intellectual Property’s US Patent Forum 2018 (March 13, 2018)
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2015
- SM (Aero/Astronautical Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2011
- BS (Aero/Astronautical Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- Texas, 2023
- New York, 2016
- Massachusetts, 2015
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2012
- Managing IP Americas Awards “IP Transactions Firm of the Year” (2023)
- LMG Life Sciences Licensing & Collaboration Firm of the Year (2020)
- Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch (2021-2024)