Joanna Hwang joined Ropes & Gray's health care group in 2019. She provides regulatory, compliance, and transactional advice to a broad range of health care clients, including hospitals and health systems, physician practices and other provider organizations, pharmaceutical companies, insurers, and private equity firms investing in the health care and life sciences industries. Dedicated to public service, Joanna maintains an active pro bono practice. During law school, Joanna served on the Society of International Law Board.
- Advised strategic investors and private equity firms on regulatory considerations for health care and life sciences transactions including investments in physician practices, nurse staff agencies, contract research organizations, pharmacies and home health providers.
- Advised clients on various aspects of regulatory compliance, including reimbursement under federal health care programs, corporate practice of medicine, HIPAA, and fraud and abuse laws, such as the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and the False Claims Act.
- Advised hospitals and academic medical centers regarding affiliations with other health care and academic organizations.
- Assisted health care provider client in preparing and submitting self-disclosures of overpayments to the Office of Inspector General for the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services and managed care plans.
- Co-author, “A Look At CMS' Proposed Medicaid Drug Rebate Changes,” Law360 (July 9, 2020)
- JD, Columbia Law School, 2019
- AB, Princeton University, 2015
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2020