Malcolm is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s finance group in London. He is a debt finance expert specialising in fund finance, leveraged and corporate financings, restructurings and event-driven finance.
Malcolm has considerable experience acting for sponsors, lenders, borrowers and financial advisers in relation to leveraged financings and LBOs, corporate financings, restructurings, auctions, public-to-private takeovers, infrastructure funding and bid financings.
Over the past 20 years he has been involved in over 200 transactions across a wide range of industry sectors and geographies.
- Silverfleet Capital in relation to the LBO of Riviera Travel
- Fortress Investment Group in relation to its various investments in Blue Star Ferries and its affiliates
- Nordic Capital on its Capital Call Facility for Fund IX
- A global asset manager in relation to its portfolio borrowing base facilities
- A major European Private Equity house in relation to its capital call bridge and related liquidity requirements
- A global credit fund in respects of its capital subscription facilities
- Intermediate Capital Group on its:
- financing by way of PIK loan, in connection with the acquisition of certain stakes in Visma as part of a US$5.3 billion consortium buyout, Europe’s largest ever software buyout
- Investment in Blackrock Programme Management (Blackrock PM), a UK-headquartered professional services firm that provides construction consulting and expert witness services for large, international construction and engineering projects
- Oakley Capital on the acquisition of TechInsights, a technology patent analysis business
- A range of private equity sponsors and lenders on the financing for leveraged buyouts including Allflex, Phones 4u, CPL Group, Enterprise Inns, Honsel, Lowell Group, Meadow Foods, Mill House Inns, UK Provincial and Ward Homes
- A range of private equity sponsors and lenders on the financing for leveraged infrastructure transactions including Kelda, National Air Traffic Services (NATS), Southern Water, TXU and Virgin Trains
- A private equity sponsor on the leveraged financing of a pan-European IVF Network
- Yell Group on its leveraged financings, refinancings and its innovative US$7.4 billion debt restructuring
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray comments on outlook for private equity in 2018,” Private Equity Wire (November 22, 2017)
- Quoted, “Effort to Harmonise Risky-Loans Rules in Doubt,” The Financial Times (June 5, 2017)
- Author, “Leveraged Loan Rules,” Real Deals (June 1, 2017)
- Quoted, “ECB Publishes Final Lending Guidelines,”Reuters (May 18, 2017)
- Quoted, “ECB Softens Terms in Final Leverage Guidelines,”Private Equity News (May 17, 2017)