Margaux J. Hall
Margaux Hall is a partner in the firm’s nationally recognized health care practice. Margaux is a leading lawyer in drug pricing, market access and value-based arrangements. She brings to clients an understanding of the transformative legal and policy issues and market changes affecting pricing and access to drug and vaccine products, including in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Named a Law360 “Rising Star” for health care in 2019, Margaux provides sophisticated regulatory and strategic business counsel to clients – including pharmaceutical manufacturers, investors, and others – on matters involving coverage and reimbursement under Medicare Advantage-Part D, Medicaid, the Federal Supply Schedule, and other government programs; innovative contracting and payment arrangements under government and commercial contracts; and price reporting obligations under federal and state laws.
Margaux’s deep knowledge of the pharmaceutical supply chain also is invaluable in major life sciences transactions. Investors and others turn to Margaux to assist them in assessing and evaluating their investments in pharmaceutical products, specialty and long-term care pharmacies, pharmacy benefit managers, distributors, group purchasing organizations, and other companies providing services to entities in the supply chain.
Margaux has dedicated her career to understanding health care in the U.S. and worldwide; after graduating from Harvard Law School, she pursued a Fulbright Fellowship to research health care law and health system reform in South Africa and then led similar research programs at the World Bank. Margaux also completed a post-graduate fellowship focusing on health law through Columbia Law School.
Margaux also has developed a robust practice with pro bono clients in the health care arena. As part of this, she has long represented Capital Clubhouse, a nonprofit organization serving people living with mental illness, during its creation of a community health center.
- Co-author, “The CMS Changes Coming to Medicare Part D Market,” Law360 (May 17, 2022)
- Co-author, “CMS Issues Final Rule Redefining Medicare Part D "Negotiated Price" As Pharmacy's Lowest Possible Reimbursement,” Ropes & Gray Client Alert (May 10, 2022)
- Quoted, “Insurers, Pharmacists at Odds Over CMS Proposal to Curb Clawbacks,” Modern Healthcare (March 8, 2022)
- Quoted, “Buckle Up: Wild Ride Awaits Health, Life Sci Policy In 2022,” Law360 (January 3, 2022)
- Co-author, “Market access to medical innovations and relevance of international pricing,” Global Legal Insights - Pricing & Reimbursement 2021 chapter (July 18, 2021)
- Co-author, “Rutledge vs. PCMA: The future of state regulation of pharmacy benefit,” Westlaw Today (June 25, 2021)
- Co-author, “Potential Costs of Reshoring Pharmaceutical Manufacturing,” Bloomberg Law (April 7, 2021)
- Co-author, “Federal Gov't Can Learn From State Drug Pricing Efforts,” Law360 (March 23, 2021)
- Co-author, “Pharma & Med Device Bidding, State-Mandated Disclosures, & Public Records Laws,” Bloomberg Law (March 2, 2021)
- Author, “3 Drug Pricing Strategy Considerations Under Biden Admin.,” Law360 (February 16, 2021)
- Quoted, “Anthem, CareFirst Confront the High Cost of Specialty Drugs,” Financial Times Health Payer Specialist (January 29, 2021)
- Cited, “Hire Up: Big Firms Build Up in DC, Add Bankruptcy and Benefits Partners Elsewhere,” The American Lawyer (October 16, 2020)
- Cited, “Industry Moves” Thomson Reuters’ Westlaw Today (October 15, 2020)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray Nabs Health Partner From Hogan Lovells,” Law360 (October 15, 2020)
- Presenter, “Key Enforcement Trends in Drug Pricing,” Medicaid Drug Rebate Program – MDRP 2021 (October 12, 2021)
- Presenter, “Navigating the Consolidation Within the Payer & PBM Market,” Managed Markets & Account Management Strategies Conference (November 9, 2021)
- Program Chair, “Drug Pricing 2021: An Overview and the Evolving Legal and Policy Landscape,” Practising Law Institute Webcast (September 20, 2021)
- Speaker, “Outlook 2021: Washington, D.C. Updates and Insights on Life Sciences and Health Care,” Ropes & Gray Teleconference (February 25, 2021)
- Panelist, “From the Boardroom: An Industry Insider’s Latest View of the Life Sciences & Healthcare Industry in a Post-Covid World,” Ropes & Gray Virtual Event (January 10, 2021)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2008; Managing Editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Technology
- BS (Management Science & Engineering, and honors in Civil Engineering), with distinction, Stanford University, 2003; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2016
- New York, 2009
- Law360 Rising Star (2019)
- Fellow, Columbia Law School, focus on health care law (2012-2014)
- Fulbright Scholar, South Africa (2008-2009)