Moussa Hassoun is an associate at Ropes & Gray in the corporate department. He has experience providing regulatory, transactional, and compliance advice in a wide range of matters in the health care and privacy & cybersecurity practice groups. He also represents clients in immigration matters pro bono. He is a member of two Ropes & Gray affinity groups: LGBTQ Forum and the Multicultural Group.
During law school, Moussa served as the Co-Chair to the Boston College Lambda Law Students Association, on the Executive Board of the Middle Eastern Law Student Association, and as an editor of the Uniform Commercial Code Reporter-Digest, a commercial law journal.
- Conflict of Interest: Moussa has experience representing clients on COI matters, both large and small. He is assisting in our ongoing advice currently to an AMC on its policies and practices for identification and management of COIs, and has conducted numerous interviews of institutions regarding their handling of the COI issues in technology licensing, board member activity, executive’s outside board service, and more. Moussa has revised the COI policy for an independent research center and advised an independent nonprofit biomedical research institution on COI best practices. He has represented a hospital in an external investigation related to the hospital’s COI practices. Moussa has also evaluated the adequacy of researcher disclosures to publications in order to determine if the research adhered to the journal or institution’s disclosure policies.
- Privacy: Moussa has counselled private equity clients on a target’s HIPAA exposure. He also advised a provider on a proposal to use electronic communication between staff and patients for administrative purposes on HIPAA compliance issues. Moussa has also reviewed BAA’s for compliance with and
- Transaction: Moussa advised private equity firms on investment considerations for health care targets and their associated regulatory risks, advised clients regarding change of ownership and license transfer requirements applicable to pharmacies, and counselled a major private equity firm on the sale of a wholly-owned subsidiary in health care.
- Investigations: Moussa has experience representing clients conducting internal investigations of their employees. Additionally, Moussa has advised a major health system on a response to a federal subpoena in relation to an investigation into a physician.
- General: Moussa has advised a quickly growing non-profit health care organization on general corporate matters.
Privacy and Cybersecurity
- GDPR: Moussa has advised national universities, various corporations, and global investment banking and financial services companies on compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- US Privacy Law: Moussa has also counseled a client on US privacy enforcement practices and powers under the FTCA and various state laws.
- Generally, Moussa has drafted, negotiated, and advised national and global clients on the terms of non-disclosure agreements to initiate negotiations for their respective transactions.
- Co-author, “New CMS Rules Reinforce Trend Away From Traditional Care,” Law360 (November 29, 2018)