Steven T. Hoort
Steven had a national practice serving many industries in the bankruptcy context and had a focus in serving healthcare clients. Steven also regularly conducted complex litigation in the insolvency context. He also represented acquirers of businesses and assets. Steven is a fellow of the American College of Bankruptcy.
Steven was the co-head of the firm’s Business Restructuring Department from 2003-2010.
- Represented multiple hospitals in varying stages of debt restructuring.
- Previously represented bondholders, bondholder committees, and bond insurers, as well as providers, in restructurings (including chapter 11 cases) relating to hospitals, continuing care retirement communities, senior and assisted living facilities, and nursing homes.
- Represented bondholders and bondholder committees also in non-healthcare tax exempt restructurings including Orange County, CA’s chapter 9 cases and the Denver aquarium (Colorado’s Ocean Journey), and numerous special purpose facilities.
Complex Insolvency Litigation
- Represented the Representatives of the Heirs of Howard Hughes in contentious insolvency litigation in the chapter 11 case of General Growth Properties (Bankr. S.D.N.Y.), the largest real estate bankruptcy in U.S. history, and obtained a recovery of $230 Million.
- Represented certain retail funds managed by Highland Capital Management in litigation with the Unsecured Creditors Committee in the case of Broadstripe, LLC (Bankr. D. Del.).
- Represented the indenture trustee on behalf of $330 Million of subordinated Noteholders in litigating objections to confirmation in In re Zante (Herbst), (Bankr. D. Nev.).
- Represented foreign insolvency administrator of an affiliate of a chapter 11 debtor in contested sale proceedings in In re Tallygenicom, (Bankr. D. Del.).
Business and Asset Acquisitions
- Represented Bain Capital in its role as stalking horse bidder on the proposed $2.15 billion purchase of the investment management division of Lehman Brothers, in the latter’s chapter 11 cases in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented a major institutional investor in a potential acquisition of natural resource holdings in chapter 11 proceedings.
- Healthcare Teleconference: Living with Default (January 2009)
- ABI Seminar: A Plan Too Far (July 2006)